The Greeks will vote No but should vote Yes
16 (36.4%)
The Greeks will vote Yes but should vote No
6 (13.6%)
The Greeks will vote Yes and should vote Yes
4 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Richard Hakluyt

".......a bit of an illusion of a permanent boom in the 90s and 2000s.........." superb understatement there celery old chap  :bowler: , do you have Englishmen in your ancestry  :D ?

Martinus

QuoteIt's really hard to make counter-cyclical policy during a recession, and meet all the safety need repayments, when your budget is taken over by debt repayment.

It's not just hard, it's impossible when you cannot print money, set interest rates or tariffs, and your creditors have tools to keep your inflation as close to zero as possible.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 07, 2015, 03:12:16 AM
".......a bit of an illusion of a permanent boom in the 90s and 2000s.........." superb understatement there celery old chap  :bowler: , do you have Englishmen in your ancestry  :D ?

I have always considered Celed a "Spanish Sheilbh". :P

celedhring

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2015, 03:06:34 AM
It's really hard to make counter-cyclical policy during a recession, and meet all the safety need repayments, when your budget is taken over by debt repayment.

Difficult to handle any kind of event under those conditions. Best not to let it get that far from a risk-management perspective.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2015, 03:46:34 AM
Why?  :D

Dunno. I think it dates back to us playing EU RPG back on the Paradox forum - I think I had both of you confused initially, as you had similar writing style.  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2015, 11:23:40 PM
With that amount of money being lost it seems deeply irresponsible to cut funding to the IRS.

Starve the beast!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on July 06, 2015, 11:26:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2015, 11:23:40 PM
Neat.  The amount of lost revenue from tax evasion in the US for one year could pay off the entire Greek debt!  We could go a long way into reducing deficit spending if we just pumped up the IRS some more.  With that amount of money being lost it seems deeply irresponsible to cut funding to the IRS.

But the law of diminishing return will kick in at some point.  You can hire millions of IRS agents, but at some point, the marginal taxes collected will be less than the salaries and overhead of the additional agents.

Yeah, at some point.  But with well over 400 billion uncollected and a budget of less then 13 billion I think we have a long way to go.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/06/17/irs-budget-cuts-hurt-services/28869343/

Budget cuts are taking a taxpayer-unfriendly toll on the federal agency Americans love to hate, a new report says.

Lower IRS budget funding and collection resources have led to declines in taxpayer service, tax case closures and collections of overdue federal taxes, according to a report Wednesday by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.

The IRS' annual budget was cut by more than $1.2 billion between federal fiscal years 2010 and 2015, the report said.

During that period, budget reductions and reassignments resulted in a 21% reduction of Automated Collection Service representatives, and a 28% decline in Field Collection revenue officers, staffers who pursue non-payment cases, the report said.

Since 2011, the personnel reductions resulted in a 25% drop in taxpayer phone calls answered by remaining IRS Automated Collection Service workers, the report said.

Taxpayers who managed to get their calls answered spent an average of 15.9 minutes waiting for a contact representative in 2014, up from 8.1 minutes in 2011, the report found.

IRS Field Collection personnel collected $3.02 billion in fiscal year 2014 revenue, a $222 million or 7% drop from the $3.244 billion collected in fiscal year 2011, the report said.

Additionally, revenue officers are closing fewer tax cases. In fiscal year 2011 they closed an average of 125 cases. The average closure total dropped to 110 cases in fiscal year 2014, the report said.

J. Russell George, head of the inspector general's office that oversees the IRS, drew a correlation between cuts in the collection budget and reductions in efficiency and effectiveness of the tax agency's collection efforts.

"The availability of key collection employees directly affects taxpayer service and the IRS' ability to take appropriate enforcement action on delinquent taxpayers," George said in a statement issued with the report findings. "Taxpayers may become frustrated and remain non-compliant if they are unable to reach a contact representative to resolve their tax issues."

The IRS said it streamlined leadership accountability of its collection program in fiscal year 2015, making the program more efficient.

"We will continue to look for ways to maintain taxpayer service and fulfill our mission of collecting unpaid taxes," Karen Schiller, head of the IRS' Small Business/Self-Employed Division, wrote in response to the findings. "But, as you acknowledge in your report, this will be increasingly difficult if staffing continues to decrease."

Congressional Republicans control both the U.S. House and Senate and have been leery of approving budget hikes for the IRS, an agency that has drawn criticism for allegedly singling out conservative political groups for greater scrutiny when the organizations applied for tax-exempt status.

President Obama proposed $12.9 billion in IRS funding for fiscal year 2016, a nearly $2 billion increase from this year's budget. House Republicans, however, answered with a proposed $838 million overall budget cut that they say would enable the IRS to perform its core responsibilities.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Milton Friedman apparently saw all the trouble coming in 1997:
http://www.afr.com/opinion/greece-debt-crisis-milton-friedmans-1997-prediction-of-the-eurozone-disaster-20150707-gi5tgk

QuoteThe drive for the Euro has been motivated by politics not economics. The aim has been to link Germany and France so closely as to make a future European war impossible, and to set the stage for a federal United States of Europe. I believe that adoption of the Euro would have the opposite effect. It would exacerbate political tensions by converting divergent shocks that could have been readily accommodated by exchange rate changes into divisive political issues. Political unity can pave the way for monetary unity. Monetary unity imposed under unfavorable conditions will prove a barrier to the achievement of political unity.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on July 07, 2015, 02:00:17 AM
Edit: Sorry, now I can see my post was misleading. I didn't mean to say Germany created a real estate bubble in Greece. I meant the effect was similar to a real estate bubble, only that it all went into consumption. Essentially, Germans were lending to Greeks inordinate amounts of cash to buy more German products.
French were by far the biggest lenders, but your point still stands.

Gups

Loads of people were saying the same as Friedman. It wasn't exactly much of an insight since the project was always avowedly political. The Germans only agreed to support it as quid pro quo for France withdrawing its objection to reunification. 

It's funny watching this play out in the British media where Greece is being used as a stick to bash the EU by the Europhobics on the right and the anti-capitalists on the left. At the same time I've been reading a history of the Britain between 1974 and 1979 including the referendum on EEC membership where exactly the same uncomfortable alliance was formed by the extremes. 

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 07, 2015, 02:28:16 AM
Interesting data. I suppose Greece should have reduced its debt ratio in the period 1992-2007, but the data is consistent with them being victims of the 2008 meltdown rather than being chronic wastrels  :hmm:
The last few years of GDP growth (maybe about 2001-2007 when they were in the Euro) were fueled by a never-before-seen availability of cheap credit. That growth was built on sand, not sustainable. Greece could have done much better and build a slower, but more sustainable economic growth. So even if the debt/GDP ratio remained flat, that was only the case due to the dividend of that quotation growing "too fast".

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on July 07, 2015, 03:36:01 AM
QuoteIt's really hard to make counter-cyclical policy during a recession, and meet all the safety need repayments, when your budget is taken over by debt repayment.

It's not just hard, it's impossible when you cannot print money, set interest rates or tariffs, and your creditors have tools to keep your inflation as close to zero as possible.  :lol:
You can easily do fiscal measures in boom times. All the stuff you name here are monetary or custom matters.  :huh:

Zanza

Quote from: Gups on July 07, 2015, 09:47:43 AM
Loads of people were saying the same as Friedman. It wasn't exactly much of an insight since the project was always avowedly political. The Germans only agreed to support it as quid pro quo for France withdrawing its objection to reunification. 
This. It's the only reason why Greece was admitted.

Zanza

The Greeks went to the especially called EU summit in Brussels WITHOUT a new proposal.  :lmfao:  :lmfao:

They are just epic trolls.

Do they think time is on their side?  :unsure: