The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Crazy_Ivan80

Heh, we use it at work too. It's only a matter of time before we bow to our ai overlords... assuming they'll let us keep our knees.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on January 13, 2023, 02:46:17 AMInvite some ChatGPT bots to Languish?
I did, it wasn't interested.  :(
QuoteAs a language model, I am not able to participate in online forums. However, I can provide information and assistance through this interface if that would be helpful.

Syt

QuoteCould you write a whimsical scene in the style of Quentin Tarantino about Captain Picard, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Rick Sanchez sharing a meal at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe? They should discuss who of them has had the worst life experiences, one-upping each other.

QuoteCaptain Picard, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Rick Sanchez were seated at a booth in Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. They were enjoying a meal of Romulan ale, blue milk and a plate of multidimensional fried chicken.

"So," said Captain Picard, taking a sip of his ale. "Who wants to go first in sharing the worst experiences of our lives?"

Obi-Wan Kenobi, a wise and experienced Jedi, spoke up first. "I have seen many atrocities in my time, but perhaps the worst was when I had to watch my beloved apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, fall to the dark side and become Darth Vader."

Rick Sanchez, a genius scientist and interdimensional traveler, nodded sympathetically. "Yeah, that's tough. But I once had to watch my entire family get murdered by a madman in another dimension, and then was trapped there for years with no way to escape."

Captain Picard, a seasoned Starfleet captain, leaned back in his seat and let out a low whistle. "Well, that's certainly rough. But I once had to watch as my entire crew, including my closest friends, were assimilated by the Borg, and I was forced to lead a resistance against them."

The three sat in silence for a moment, each lost in their own thoughts. Finally, Obi-Wan Kenobi spoke up. "Well, I suppose we all have our own battles to fight. But I am grateful for this chance to share a meal and our stories with two such honorable warriors."

Captain Picard and Rick Sanchez nodded in agreement, raising their glasses in a toast to friendship and survival against all odds.

:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I have played around with it, for example asking it to describe characters, plot ideas and such. Everything it comes up with is pretty generic/clichéd, which I guess makes sense given how it's built. Although I guess if you play around with the prompt you may get more interesting stuff.

So for now my job is safe. FOR NOW.

Josquius

Heard a nice quote yesterday.

AI won't take your job.
A person using AI will.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 13, 2023, 03:18:53 AMI have played around with it, for example asking it to describe characters, plot ideas and such. Everything it comes up with is pretty generic/clichéd, which I guess makes sense given how it's built. Although I guess if you play around with the prompt you may get more interesting stuff.

I know what you mean :D

QuoteWrite a mythology based on the following parameters. The main deity formed from chaos. It split itself into multiple smaller deities and created the world and various races to bring order to chaos and to have company. However, it cost the deities a lot of energy, and they gain power through being worshipped. This power is "recycled" through death. Eventually the created races kill the gods, though. Describe the deities, how they were worshipped and how the lower races defeated them.

QuoteIn the beginning, there was only chaos. But from that chaos, a powerful deity emerged. This deity, known as the Creator, split itself into multiple smaller deities, each with their own unique powers and responsibilities. Together, they set about creating the world and the various races that would inhabit it.

The Creator and its children, as the smaller deities were known, worked tirelessly to bring order to the chaos that surrounded them. They formed the mountains and valleys, the oceans and rivers, and the sky and the stars. They created the animals, plants and the races, each with its own characteristics and abilities.

But the process of creation was not without cost. The deities expended a great deal of energy in their efforts, and so they required a source of power to sustain themselves. And so, they devised a way for their followers to worship them, offering them sacrifices and performing rituals in their honor. In return, the deities would grant their followers blessings and protection.

As the ages passed, the races grew in strength and knowledge. They learned to harness the power of the deities for their own purposes, building great civilizations and empires. But with this power came a desire for more, and the races began to question the need for the deities.

As the worship of the deities began to wane, their power began to fade. And so, the deities turned to a new source of power: death. They began to consume the souls of the deceased, recycling their energy to sustain themselves. But this only served to further alienate the races, who saw the deities as cruel and selfish.

In the end, the races banded together and rose up against their creators. They called forth powerful magic and weapons, and in a great war, they defeated the deities, sealing them away in the underworld. Though the Creator and its children were gone, their creations lived on, forever changed by the gods' actions.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on January 13, 2023, 03:18:53 AMI have played around with it, for example asking it to describe characters, plot ideas and such. Everything it comes up with is pretty generic/clichéd, which I guess makes sense given how it's built. Although I guess if you play around with the prompt you may get more interesting stuff.

I wonder if people like you could use it as a tool though. You could dream up the scenario, get the bot to write the first draft and then add a bit of human magic to get a worthwhile final result  :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 13, 2023, 03:33:19 AM

I wonder if people like you could use it as a tool though. You could dream up the scenario, get the bot to write the first draft and then add a bit of human magic to get a worthwhile final result  :hmm:

I see it as a way to generate ideas which you then can use as a seed and iterate further. We already use a lot of tools for that, this can be another one.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

There is a bannerlord mod that uses it to make the npcs more interesting btw

viper37

Writers for the CW's show may not be so fortunate :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Somehow, I love its penchant for bullet points lists, it does feel very internet-y:

QuoteHow would you defeat a tyrannical god-emperor that holds mankind as slaves?

QuoteDefeating a tyrannical god-emperor who holds mankind as slaves would likely be a monumental task, and would likely require a coordinated effort from a large number of individuals and groups. Some possible strategies that could be employed include:

Building a resistance movement: This would involve recruiting and organizing individuals who are willing to fight against the god-emperor and his regime. The resistance would need to be well-organized and well-funded in order to be effective.

Gathering intelligence: In order to defeat the god-emperor and his regime, it would be important to gather as much information as possible about their operations and vulnerabilities. This could involve infiltrating the regime, gathering information from dissidents and defectors, and conducting surveillance.

Sabotaging the regime: The resistance could target the god-emperor's infrastructure, resources and weaken his power. This could involve attacking key economic or military targets, or disrupting the regime's ability to communicate and control its subjects.

Building alliances: The resistance would likely need the support of other groups and nations in order to be successful. This could involve making alliances with other resistance movements, or convincing neutral powers to provide aid and support.

Military action: Ultimately, the resistance might need to engage in direct military action against the god-emperor and his regime. This would likely be a risky and costly endeavor, and would require a significant military force.

It's important to remember that this is a fictional scenario and there's not a one-size-fits-all solution. The strategy would vary depending on the specific context and details of the situation.

Iormlund

So, this is a bit old, but given my job I found it rather interesting:

Robots are increasing mortality among U.S. adults

QuoteAccording to the study, each new robot per 1,000 workers led to about eight additional deaths per 100,000 males aged 45 to 54 and nearly four additional deaths per 100,000 females in the same age group.