The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on June 14, 2022, 11:55:56 AMJust because you're trying to shut someone up doesn't mean that the person you want to shut up is saying something meaningful.  It would be a problem for Google if it wanted to keep AI sentience secret and this guy spilled the beans, true, but it would be just as much of a problem if this guy just didn't know what he was talking about, but had the credentials for lay persons to think that he does.

They are trying to shut him up because he violated company NDAs, pure and simple.  That's corporate sentience in action.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Well, I've never spoken with this program, but Alexa is as dumb as a box of hammers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 14, 2022, 11:58:45 AMNone of this matters when it comes to brand management.

I've mentioned this before, but that one Radiolab episode, where the scientists developping the technology now behind deep fakes, reacted with considerable surprise to the concerns of the journalist about trust and democracy, confessing they had never thought about it at all, didn't fill me with amazing confidence about the ethical and philosophical bend of much of the scientific community.
No one should be living free of ethics or philosophy, but what do you propose?  First of all, deep fakes are just an obvious offshoot from the more general framework of generative models that are useful for a lot of things.  It wasn't an aha moment, it was an incremental work that someone was going to do anyway.  Even if American scientists somehow figure out a system to collectively keep themselves away from that Pandorra box, there are plenty of good Russian and Chinese data scientists who consider it a patriotic duty to contribute to the decline of democracy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 14, 2022, 12:54:04 PMWell, I've never spoken with this program, but Alexa is as dumb as a box of hammers.

The transcript indicates superior communicative ability though by admission it was massaged.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 14, 2022, 12:54:04 PMWell, I've never spoken with this program, but Alexa is as dumb as a box of hammers.

Is a a box of hammers smarter or dumber than a bag of hammers?  I've never been able to clearly sort out the different configurations of hammers as regards intelligence.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 14, 2022, 08:51:31 PM

Is a a box of hammers smarter or dumber than a bag of hammers?  I've never been able to clearly sort out the different configurations of hammers as regards intelligence.

A sack of hammers neared sentience and and so is no longer used. 

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2022, 06:44:02 AM

What about bags of hammers?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Just wait until the invent a Bending Industrial Robot, that's when the fun really starts ;)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2022, 09:02:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2022, 06:44:02 AM

What about bags of hammers?

They are a formidable network

The Brain

The recent AI art stuff has given me the biggest "the future is now" feeling I've had in a long time. With art becoming much cheaper and quicker to produce there's exciting times ahead. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I finally got through to try out ChatGPT.  My very first request for it was to write me a convolutional autoencoder neural network.  It wrote me a working convolutional autoencoder network. :o :unsure:

DGuller

There is one problem with its code, though:  the stupid thing doesn't use spaces around the equals sign inside named function arguments.  I hate people who do that.  I wonder if I can ask it to use spaces?  :hmm:

DGuller

It complied.  I got the same code with spaces around equals signs. :o

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017