The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on January 04, 2017, 01:19:24 AM
I for one look forward to AI and robots doing more work.  It is not just about cost-cutting.  They are simply better than humans in a lot of aspects.  Humans make tons of mistakes.  There are bugs in the programming for sure, but they can be corrected and improved until they do the job more-or-less perfectly.  AI drivers will screw up initially, but given time to improve the programming, there will be much safer roads.  The world will be a much better place with more automation.

Aren't you based outta Hong Kong.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Mono will be sent to the recycling tanks by Chairman Yang.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on January 04, 2017, 10:57:10 PM
I for one look forward to AI and robots doing more work.  It is not just about cost-cutting.  They are simply better than humans in a lot of aspects.  Humans make tons of mistakes.  There are bugs in the programming for sure, but they can be corrected and improved until they do the job more-or-less perfectly.  AI drivers will screw up initially, but given time to improve the programming, there will be much safer roads.  The world will be a much better place with more automation.

Yeah.  So?  :unsure:

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 04, 2017, 10:58:46 PM
Mono will be sent to the recycling tanks by Chairman Yang.

I am not worried about robots taking civil service jobs.  It is basically impossible. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on January 04, 2017, 11:06:32 PM
I am not worried about robots taking civil service jobs.  It is basically impossible.

Why not.  They take civil service exams.

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on January 04, 2017, 11:05:25 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 04, 2017, 10:57:10 PM

Yeah.  So?  :unsure:

Not surprising your stance on AI
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

I don't think robots can pass a civil service exam  :lol:  Do you know what a civil service exam looks like?

Assume there is a scandal.  The opposition tables a question in parliament about it.  In a week's time, the minister will have to answer that question in public, and deal with any follow-up questions.  Now prepare a speech for the minister to deliver, in both Chinese and English, in the parliament.  Also prepare a 1 page summary about the case to explain it clearly and succinctly.  AND, prepare 10 likely questions that the opposition will ask on the spot, AND the answers to those questions.  The aim is to make the minister look as good as possible without committing any extra government staffing or financial resources.  You have two hours to write. 

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Quote from: Monoriu on January 04, 2017, 11:27:52 PM
I don't think robots can pass a civil service exam  :lol:  Do you know what a civil service exam looks like?

Assume there is a scandal.  The opposition tables a question in parliament about it.  In a week's time, the minister will have to answer that question in public, and deal with any follow-up questions.  Now prepare a speech for the minister to deliver, in both Chinese and English, in the parliament.  Also prepare a 1 page summary about the case to explain it clearly and succinctly.  AND, prepare 10 likely questions that the opposition will ask on the spot, AND the answers to those questions.  The aim is to make the minister look as good as possible without committing any extra government staffing or financial resources.  You have two hours to write. 

That sounds like a perfect task for a robot.

You take a bunch of words vaguely related to the question at hand, mix them up, vomit them out on a page, and then run some analysis to make sure that nothing said actually has any actual content, which would surely be unintentional.

I am confident google could do this for you much better than any human.

You could even automate the delivery and reception of said speeches and questions, for that matter.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

Quote from: Berkut on January 05, 2017, 08:27:21 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 04, 2017, 11:27:52 PM

That sounds like a perfect task for a robot.

You take a bunch of words vaguely related to the question at hand, mix them up, vomit them out on a page, and then run some analysis to make sure that nothing said actually has any actual content, which would surely be unintentional.

I am confident google could do this for you much better than any human.

You could even automate the delivery and reception of said speeches and questions, for that matter.

:lol: I do not entirely disagree with this, actually  :secret:

Eddie Teach

How do we know Mono hasn't already been replaced by a robot?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 05, 2017, 08:44:54 AM

No way - he would be a lot more convincingly human if he were a robot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

He's too creative at pushing our buttons.  Even after all these years he knows how to get us consistently riled up at the hive mind mentality.

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on January 05, 2017, 08:50:52 AM
He's too creative at pushing our buttons.  Even after all these years he knows how to get us consistently riled up at the hive mind mentality.

I am really puzzled at being accused of having a hive mind mentality.  I am considered one of a kind, and someone who totally refuses to conform in real life  :lol:

jimmy olsen

First house 3D printed in Russia. Doesn't look that great, but this is early days. Obviously the technology will continue to improve.

http://mashable.com/2017/03/03/3d-house-24-hours.amp
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point