Are Chris Pratt And Jennifer Lawrence Movie Stars?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 27, 2015, 08:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on June 27, 2015, 11:29:03 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2015, 11:07:13 AM
To flip the question, did old school stars make any bad films that did well financially?

Da Vinci Code did reasonably well I think.

That was based on an international blockbuster though.

Still, you can look at Will Smith's streak in the 2000s (another example of old school movie star), and see how many middling movies he turned into blockbusters.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on June 27, 2015, 11:35:49 AM
Still, you can look at Will Smith's streak in the 2000s (another example of old school movie star), and see how many middling movies he turned into blockbusters.

A few examples, bitte.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2015, 11:40:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 27, 2015, 11:35:49 AM

A few examples, bitte.

I, Robot. I Am Legend. Wild Wild West.

They were all pretty shitty but still watchable and made a ton of money according to imdb.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Yeah, Wild Wild West was perhaps one of the worst movies ever made but it had Will Smith so it still attracted an audience.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2015, 11:59:10 AM
Yeah, Wild Wild West was perhaps one of the worst movies ever made but it had Will Smith so it still attracted an audience.

That movie had a built-in audience from the old TV show, though.  Saying Will Smith was the big draw is sort of like saying that Matt Leblanc was the big draw for that Lost in Space movie.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2015, 01:53:36 PM

That movie had a built-in audience from the old TV show, though.  Saying Will Smith was the big draw is sort of like saying that Matt Leblanc was the big draw for that Lost in Space movie.

The Pursuit of Happyness or Seven Pounds were pretty insufferable tearjerkers that would have never reached the audiences they did without Smith. If you look at his career during the 2000s, almost everything he touched became a blockbuster, no matter genre or tone. That's what I call a movie star.

Plus, Hancock. There's no reason in the world to watch Hancock (ok, Charlize Theron), and it was a massive success.

Admiral Yi

Did/does Will Smith travel well?  I have this impression that international markets aren't that enamored of black actors.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2015, 02:08:51 PM
Did/does Will Smith travel well?  I have this impression that international markets aren't that enamored of black actors.

He was massively popular in Spain, The Fresh Prince was a smash here back in the time. Dunno elsewhere.

Iormlund

Yes. The Fresh Prince was huge. It helped that localization was done extremely well, which is rare nowadays.

Syt

Fresh Prince was huge in Germany and definitely boosted his early movie outings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2015, 01:53:36 PM

Intellectually I know there was a WWW tv show, but otherwise was and am unaware anything about it.

In both cases it wasn't the original show that was the draw.  The movie succeeded (WWW) or failed (LiS) based on its star power.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2015, 02:29:47 PM
Fresh Prince was huge in Germany and definitely boosted his early movie outings.

Judging from watching episodes of Zero punctuation, it had a following in Britain as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017