Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 26, 2015, 10:23:05 AM
Gotta love Nino
The Court telling the legislatures that can't refuse a piece of paper to two dudes ---> threat to democracy!
The Court denying the legislature the power to impede Sheldon Anderson from buying elections ---> free speech!

Has Sheldon Anderson ever succeeded in buying an election?  Seems to me he has thrown wads of money at a succession of losers.

Malthus

Hilarious.  :D

Quote"If intimacy is, one would think Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage," Scalia said. "Ask the nearest hippie. Expression, sure enough, is a freedom, but anyone in a long-lasting marriage will attest that that happy state constricts, rather than expands, what one can prudently say."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2015, 09:55:44 AM
I said it about Canada, and I'll say it about the US - this kind of change is better to come from the people and legislature, not the courts.

Besides, it's not as if the pro-gay marriage side hadn't had a ton of success in advancing their agenda legislatively.

I dunno. Seems that change is quickest made by a body with long service terms and no fear of being removed. We should consider reorganizing our executive and legislature along the same lines.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 26, 2015, 10:17:42 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 26, 2015, 10:08:44 AM
An example would be abortion which is still very contentious in America.

Abortion is contentious because some people believe it is equivalent to murder.  Gay marriage is not the same kind of issue.  There will be some fiery rhetoric from usual suspect, it will die down, and cease to a be a major issue.

The explanation seems clear.  Scalia sees his role as being a member of an unelected committee who's obligation it is to reflect societal values (as he sees them) rather than being a Supreme Court Justice responsible for applying the Constitution. 

Valmy

Gotta love Nino
The Court telling the legislatures that can't refuse a piece of paper to two dudes ---> threat to democracy!
The Court denying the legislature the power to impede Sheldon Anderson from buying elections ---> free speech!

I don't get how his point does not equally apply to any decision on a law ever made by the Supreme Court ever. Yes there are checks on what the Legislature can do. Yes there are checks on what the President can do. That is why we have a court and it is one of the last bastions of republicanism left in our system. Weird that he is calling for its abolition and establishment of a 100% parliamentary system. He can always move to the UK for that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 10:41:10 AM
Gotta love Nino

I don't get how his point does not equally apply to any decision on a law ever made by the Supreme Court ever. Yes there are checks on what the Legislature can do. Yes there are checks on what the President can do. That is why we have a court and it is one of the last bastions of republicanism left in our system. Weird that he is calling for its abolition and establishment of a 100% parliamentary system. He can always move to the UK for that.

Don't go smearing the Parliamentary system with that Scalia nonsense.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2015, 10:39:35 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 26, 2015, 10:17:42 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 26, 2015, 10:08:44 AM
An example would be abortion which is still very contentious in America.

Abortion is contentious because some people believe it is equivalent to murder.  Gay marriage is not the same kind of issue.  There will be some fiery rhetoric from usual suspect, it will die down, and cease to a be a major issue.

The explanation seems clear.  Scalia sees his role as being a member of an unelected committee who's obligation it is to reflect societal values (as he sees them) rather than being a Supreme Court Justice responsible for applying the Constitution.

Scalia is just a Republican. 9/10, his ideology does the talking.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

I do get the feeling that if a Republican president wins the 2016 election and orders arrest of all Democratic members of Congress, he would only lose in Supreme Court by a 6-3 vote.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2015, 10:51:12 AM
I do get the feeling that if a Republican president wins the 2016 election

This seems incredibly unlikely to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lettow77

Probably a good thing socially, but it's a shame to see the South have its domestic government overruled by foreign lands again.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 10:28:46 AM
Has Sheldon Anderson ever succeeded in buying an election?  Seems to me he has thrown wads of money at a succession of losers.

All the more reason the legislation should stand, protect the guy from himself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 26, 2015, 11:03:49 AM
All the more reason the legislation should stand, protect the guy from himself.

Caveat emptor.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on June 26, 2015, 10:43:52 AM

Kennedy is a Republican and went the other way
Roberts is a Republican and wrote 2 opinions sustaining ACA
Not quite that simple.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 26, 2015, 11:07:24 AM

Not quite that simple.

Maybe they are more than Republicans?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 26, 2015, 11:07:24 AM

Not quite that simple.
I think you missed the meaning of "just" in Ide's post.