Rise of Japan's middle-aged virgins: a quarter of over-30s have never had sex

Started by jimmy olsen, June 19, 2015, 05:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 20, 2015, 06:07:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 20, 2015, 05:47:06 AM
I blame car focussed urban development and depopulation of provincial cities.
:huh:

America has much more car focused urban development.
You however don't have the same culture of close nit groups.
And you have church and that sort of thing.

Also of course America doesn't have the same super serious mindset and 25 years of economic malaise.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2015, 05:26:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2015, 05:18:55 AM
Quote from: Camerus on June 19, 2015, 10:42:27 PM
A particularly troubling development for our modern culture, in which the highest virtue has become unfettered sexual expression.

:huh:

:yes: Sexual expression should be fettered.

As long as we remember our safe words, at least.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2015, 06:21:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 20, 2015, 05:47:06 AM
I blame car focussed urban development and depopulation of provincial cities.

^_^

I initially thought someone was joking. That I saw it was Tyr.  :)

Josquius

err yeah, agreeing with the governments of many of said cities is joking :blink:
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on June 20, 2015, 09:38:56 AM
err yeah, agreeing with the governments of many of said cities is joking :blink:
the government in Japan said that cars keeps 1/4 of unmarried Japanese men from getting laid?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: HVC on June 20, 2015, 10:02:05 AM
the government in Japan said that cars keeps 1/4 of unmarried Japanese men from getting laid?
I guess they don't have cars, and the ladies want a guy with a car?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Pretty much.
Recognition is really growing in Japan as in Europe that mid 20th century urban planning decisions were short sighted and incorrect.
The donutting of cities, the decline of city centres and the increased distances people need to travel in the course of their every day life mean amongst other things that  community spirit has fell through the floor and that people just aren't meeting each other anymore.
The drive to fix this is a big part of the move in recent years to try and restore vitality to city centres. Additionally it is increasingly common for city councils to organise matchmaking events.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2015, 10:33:51 AM

Or maybe they drive old Honda Civics, which can be emasculating. Also, I doubt any of them can get work as coal miners, which is the ultimate in emasculation.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on June 20, 2015, 10:44:14 AM

Pretty much.
Recognition is really growing in Japan as in Europe that mid 20th century urban planning decisions were short sighted and incorrect.
The donutting of cities, the decline of city centres and the increased distances people need to travel in the course of their every day life mean amongst other things that  community spirit has fell through the floor and that people just aren't meeting each other anymore.
The drive to fix this is a big part of the move in recent years to try and restore vitality to city centres. Additionally it is increasingly common for city councils to organise matchmaking events.
People's lifestyles don't really support meeting other people.  We have nice TVs, computers and phones that connect us to the outside world, and even if you did go out and about, you still wouldn't want to try and meet someone new anyways.  They'd either think you were weird for talking to them, or think you were trying to rape them and attack you.

The society of fear and modern technology have united to create more and more recluses.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on June 20, 2015, 10:46:06 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2015, 10:33:51 AM
Or maybe they drive old Honda Civics, which can be emasculating. Also, I doubt any of them can get work as coal miners, which is the ultimate in emasculation.
Cars and their upkeep are pretty expensive in Japan.  If you're one of these guys, you're usually a workforce fringe player, and you don't have the cash for a car.

MadImmortalMan

The article is all about guys. I'm assuming the girls are having the same problem?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

It's also a quarter of unmarried guys over 30. What's the percentage e of Japanese men over 30 who are married?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 20, 2015, 06:26:04 PM
The article is all about guys. I'm assuming the girls are having the same problem?

Lets just say the other 75% of guys are really enjoying themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."