News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

200 years ago today

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2015, 02:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2015, 09:45:00 AM
:o Europe was really scraping the barrel after 20 years of war.

The young guy standing in the second picture from the top is kinda cute.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on June 20, 2015, 11:33:18 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2015, 09:45:00 AM
:o Europe was really scraping the barrel after 20 years of war.

The young guy standing in the second picture from the top is kinda cute.

If it was GoT, he'd croak soon.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2015, 11:12:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2015, 07:58:00 AM

Nice to see the entire Bundeswehr showed up to play the Prussians.

I think some of those Landswehr actually fought at Waterloo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2015, 07:58:00 AM

Does anyone know if this what a column actually looked like?  I always imagined it more squatty.

Delightful pics Syts on ass.

The Minsky Moment

Couple of decent lawn mowers could have turned the tide of the battle.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

The tragedy of the Old Guard: A lack of combine harvesters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 20, 2015, 10:43:12 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2015, 10:30:55 AM
Soldiers dressed much snazzier back then.

I suspect their uniforms were more tattered, less clean, and less pressed at the actual battle.

At Waterloo, the uniforms would have been quite new (though perhaps covered with mud from a night sleeping rough in a rainstorm  ;) ).

Fun fact: many British officers went straight into battle from attending a fancy-dress ball! Some still wore their dancing shoes.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius