News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

200 years ago today

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2015, 02:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

The freedom-loving coalition of the most inspired, creative nations of Europe was defeated at Waterloo by an imperialistic concert of colonial powers.  :cry:

Edit: well, yesterday :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Yeah, nothing imperialist about the Napoleonic empire.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Like the U.S., they just wanted everyone to be free.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 19, 2015, 03:00:45 AM
Yeah, nothing imperialist about the Napoleonic empire.

It was all defensive :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2015, 02:04:11 AM
The freedom-loving coalition of the most inspired, creative nations of Europe was defeated at Waterloo by an imperialistic concert of colonial powers.  :cry:

Europe united against Florence?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 19, 2015, 07:36:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj_9CiNkkn4

Hehe, my British boss went to Belgium today to celebrate the anniversary.

When he said he was going to a "Waterloo anniversary", a (male) trainee asked "Oh, like ABBA?".

:frusty:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2015, 08:51:53 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2015, 02:04:11 AM

Europe united against Florence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOyfLBYtuU  :hmm:

Norgy

Napoleon = Hitler with less lederhosen.

MadImmortalMan

But he sold us Louisiana.  :ph34r:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

Think of it as: Lebensraum spelled in that weird language they call "French".

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on June 19, 2015, 02:53:07 PM
Napoleon = Hitler with less lederhosen.

Bullshit. Napoleon actually took Moscow.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien