News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

To not let Turkey run away with all the news Ukraine decides to enter the fray and the result is that independent and critical journalist Pavel Sheremet was killed today with a car bomb.

https://russian.rt.com/article/313055-zhurnalist-pavel-sheremet-pogib-v-kieve-pri
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Oh, the irony.

QuoteMilo Yiannopoulos, rightwing writer, permanently banned from Twitter

Breitbart writer, who tweeted as @Nero, handed permanent suspension after claims he fanned flames of social media attack on Ghostbusters' Leslie Jones

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/20/milo-yiannopoulos-nero-permanently-banned-twitter

Valmy

Yeah the bizarre pre-emptive rage and fury about the Ghostbusters movie is one of the oddest alt-right crusades yet. I mean typically people wait to see the movie before they try to ruin the lives of everybody involved in it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 07:29:19 AM
Yeah the bizarre pre-emptive rage and fury about the Ghostbusters movie is one of the oddest alt-right crusades yet. I mean typically people wait to see the movie before they try to ruin the lives of everybody involved in it.

So it would be a bit like people over here hunting down and stalking Jim Dale for appearing in 'Carry On Columbus'?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Is Marty still banned?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 20, 2016, 07:41:12 AM
Is Marty still banned?

That is what he said on Facebook. He still reads it from time to time though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on July 20, 2016, 01:47:57 AM
To not let Turkey run away with all the news Ukraine decides to enter the fray and the result is that independent and critical journalist Pavel Sheremet was killed today with a car bomb.

https://russian.rt.com/article/313055-zhurnalist-pavel-sheremet-pogib-v-kieve-pri
Damn.  :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 07:42:10 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 20, 2016, 07:41:12 AM
Is Marty still banned?

That is what he said on Facebook. He still reads it from time to time though.

Jacob is Caracalla reborn as a mod.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2016, 07:57:04 AM

My ability to read Old Church Slavonic is low so what happened? I mean besides a journalist got blown up. Who took him out?

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 08:13:34 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2016, 07:57:04 AM

My ability to read Old Church Slavonic is low so what happened? I mean besides a journalist got blown up. Who took him out?
Didn't say.  I'm not familiar with his latest work, so who knows who he pissed off.  Or maybe it's one of those regular hit jobs to keep the journalists afraid.

derspiess

Had a field mouse sneak into my basement somehow.  I'm guessing he got in when one of the kids left the back door open for like half a day.  Fucker was way too nimble for the snap traps I set out; he liked to sample the peanut butter I put on them but never triggered the bar.  He was also able to get himself freed from one of the glue traps but finally got caught in the other.  He didn't suffer long.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

It does rather illustrate that misogyny is still thriving in this day and age.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2016, 12:04:11 PM

I refuse to say that misogyny (or racism - see the tweets that drove GB star Leslie Jones off the internet) is thriving merely because of a handful of jackasses with a keyboard and a Twitter account.  The new movie appears to be doing very well at the box office after all.

But yes, clearly racism and misogyny still do exist in our society.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2016, 12:04:11 PM

I think we could do with fewer illustrations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2016, 12:40:06 PM
I refuse to say that misogyny (or racism - see the tweets that drove GB star Leslie Jones off the internet) is thriving merely because of a handful of jackasses with a keyboard and a Twitter account.  The new movie appears to be doing very well at the box office after all.

But yes, clearly racism and misogyny still do exist in our society.

I concur. It is not merely due to a handful of jackasses with a keyboard and a twitter account that leads to the conclusion. Rather it is the very high frequency of "a handful of jackasses" to the degree that you can reliably predict their appearance when it comes to a number of topics in pop-culture, politics, etc.