News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on July 13, 2016, 12:33:37 PM
You can't seem to go anywhere in the world without meeting lots and lots of German tourists.  :hmm:

It is eerie. I have never been on a US national park trip, and I have taken several, that did not involve meeting German tourists. You hardly ever see British or French or Japanese tourists in places like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2016, 12:54:22 PM
You can't seem to go anywhere in the world without meeting lots and lots of German tourists.  :hmm:

It is eerie. I have never been on a US national park trip, and I have taken several, that did not involve meeting German tourists. You hardly ever seen British or French or Japanese tourists in places like that.

Germans have a particular love of the outdoors.

It was no co-incidence that when living in Whitehorse there was precisely one airline that flew direct from Europe to Whitehorse - and it was German.  You had tons of German tourists.  Never any Brits of Spaniards or French or Italians... just Germans.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

They aren't everywhere; I don't recall meeting german tourists in israel.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Completely unrelated but my next door neighbors are from Hanover. It has been fun to chat with them from time to time. Their English is not good at all which makes it sort of entertaining. If only I spoke some German.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2016, 01:09:39 PM
Completely unrelated but my next door neighbors are from Hanover. It has been fun to chat with them from time to time. Their English is not good at all which makes it sort of entertaining. If only I spoke some German.

I've found that Northern Germans really like it when you conflate them with Bavarians :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2016, 01:23:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2016, 01:09:39 PM

I've found that Northern Germans really like it when you conflate them with Bavarians :D

They have already complained about that to me :P

I have resisted the urge to ask them if they felt saddened being torn from the rest of the United Kingdom.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2016, 12:54:22 PM

It is eerie. I have never been on a US national park trip, and I have taken several, that did not involve meeting German tourists. You hardly ever see British or French or Japanese tourists in places like that.
I've run into German tourists on bourbon distillery tours several times.  More commonly I encounter Australians, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2016, 01:25:33 PM

One time we took a German friend of ours and his family to the nearby Hofbrauhaus.  He seemed okay with the beer and atmosphere but lost his shit when the "Alpen Echos" band took stage.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on July 13, 2016, 01:26:24 PM
I've run into German tourists on bourbon distillery tours several times.  More commonly I encounter Australians, though.

We're starting to get a fair number of Aussie and Kiwi beer tourists in Cincy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2016, 01:32:21 PM

One time we took a German friend of ours and his family to the nearby Hofbrauhaus.  He seemed okay with the beer and atmosphere but lost his shit when the "Alpen Echos" band took stage.

On the flip side  . . . I once took part in a corporate outing/bonding experience in Germany years ago.  It was an American western theme with rodeo-like stunts, skits, and a guy dressed in black playing Johnny Cash songs.   
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 13, 2016, 03:13:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2016, 01:32:21 PM

On the flip side  . . . I once took part in a corporate outing/bonding experience in Germany years ago.  It was an American western theme with rodeo-like stunts, skits, and a guy dressed in black playing Johnny Cash songs.

A corporate bonding experience in Germany really ought to feature actual bondage.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on July 13, 2016, 11:58:22 AM
I've done a fair bit of traveling alone and staying in hostels while doing so. It has its up- and downsides. It's actually very social as you'll meet lots and lots of new interesting people. Many more than I do when I travel with someone else and infinitely more than when I travelled for business and stayed in fancy hotels alone. Staying in hostels is so-so, but most of the time it is acceptable. You get really annoying people rarely, but if you do it really sucks. That said, it's the only way travelling for like 8 weeks a year is affordable with my current income.

It also depends highly on the city the hostel is in. The last two I stayed at (about a decade ago  :Embarrass:) couldn't have been more different.
The one in Rome was full of annoying teenagers drinking and screaming all night, glad I didn't stay more than a night.
On the other hand, all the people in the hostel in Kiev were actually really interesting to talk to and hang out with. 

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2016, 03:25:09 PM
I've done a fair bit of traveling alone and staying in hostels while doing so. It has its up- and downsides. It's actually very social as you'll meet lots and lots of new interesting people. Many more than I do when I travel with someone else and infinitely more than when I travelled for business and stayed in fancy hotels alone. Staying in hostels is so-so, but most of the time it is acceptable. You get really annoying people rarely, but if you do it really sucks. That said, it's the only way travelling for like 8 weeks a year is affordable with my current income.

It also depends highly on the city the hostel is in. The last two I stayed at (about a decade ago  :Embarrass:) couldn't have been more different.
The one in Rome was full of annoying teenagers drinking and screaming all night, glad I didn't stay more than a night.
On the other hand, all the people in the hostel in Kiev were actually really interesting to talk to and hang out with. 

On hostelworld.com you can pretty much gather what kind of hostel it is from the reviews.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on July 13, 2016, 03:26:54 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2016, 03:25:09 PM

On hostelworld.com you can pretty much gather what kind of hostel it is from the reviews.

Heh, can't remember if it was this site or another that had the following review of one place:

"Features hobos defecating in the lobby"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2016, 11:26:50 AM
The thing that sucks about the hostels is people freaking stay up jaw jawing away and partying down until all hours of the night and fuckers get up super early in the morning. So it is never really quiet in the damn things. Staying in them is a great way to wear your ass out while touring around Euroland.

Most people know what they are in for. I was not surprised that in a hostel in Marseille, people went at bed at like 3 a.m after some drinking since it was match day.