Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2016, 03:41:43 AM
I knew a guy from Lviv. He said that when he speaks Ukrainian, Russians have a hard time understanding him, if at all. OTOH he said he finds Polish easy to follow. :hmm:

Ukrainian is in several ways closer to Polish than it is to Russian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language#Classification_and_relationship_to_other_languages

Shared vocabulary with Ukrainian:

Polish: 70%

Russian: 62%

Among 82 distinct phonetic and grammatical features of the Ukrainian language
it shares with other Slavic languages:

Polish: 22

Russian: 11
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 05, 2016, 11:06:02 AM
Russians also sound like Goofs, but BB is less sensitive about that.

I find it remarkable how my opinion of the goofiness of a language changes with the speaker.  :D

Track suit wearing, jail tattooed eastern European thug speaking Russian or Ukrainian = goof (albeit more or less menacing goof).

Hott woman speaking either language = hot.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Hott woman speaking English with that accent, also hot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2016, 11:12:26 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2016, 03:41:43 AM
I knew a guy from Lviv. He said that when he speaks Ukrainian, Russians have a hard time understanding him, if at all. OTOH he said he finds Polish easy to follow. :hmm:

Ukrainian is in several ways closer to Polish than it is to Russian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language#Classification_and_relationship_to_other_languages

Shared vocabulary with Ukrainian:

Polish: 70%

Russian: 62%

Among 82 distinct phonetic and grammatical features of the Ukrainian language
it shares with other Slavic languages:

Polish: 22

Russian: 11

Your link also states the closest language to Ukrainian is Belarussian.  :P Makes sense, though of course close links with Polish or even Russian should not surprise anybody with basic linguistic notions.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 05, 2016, 11:20:12 AM

Your link also states the closest language to Ukrainian is Belarussian.  :P Makes sense, though of course close links with Polish or even Russian should not surprise anybody with basic linguistic notions.

Well, yeah - but the issue was in the post I was citing, as to which of Polish or Russian was closer, as mentioned by the guy Sty knew from Lviv.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Had to google that. Wow.  3.2 million views already on youtube.  Not as great as their Super Bowl commercial last year but it'll do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Weird, creepy and funny, and I can't get it out of my head. Puppy Monkey Baby, PuppyMonkeyBaby, Puppy... Monkey... Baby.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on February 05, 2016, 04:19:37 AM
It's a different language, with a different vocabulary.  Just because many Ukrainians, especially in government, have a difficulty speaking the language without heavily and often comically mixing it with Russian doesn't mean the languages are similar.  I for one cannot understand Ukrainian anymore, not any better than Polish anyway.

So somewhere along the way you stopped being Ukrainian and became Russian?

Sounds similar to the process in Crimea and Donetsk, and in not too long Kiev and then Galacia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014