Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Today I learned of that rarity,  a rock concert :w00t:
All the lyrics are in french :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Terrorists have seized hostages in a hotel in Birkina-Fassau said to be popular with westerners.  French and US troops involved in the confrontation.

Saw some rough footage; looked like the hotel was on fire.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2016, 06:22:44 PM

You would have preferred it was in German or Italian?

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2016, 02:20:52 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2016, 02:13:20 PM
A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my cookies. The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who's had the same exact story, only he doesn't have the punch line.

Great story.  :lol:

It might be because of fatigue or maybe I'm just dumb, but...I don't get it.  Someone want to spell it out?  I have an idea, but I'm not sure it's right.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

The fact both men were too polite and English to say anything about the other stealing their cookies is the kicker.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2016, 10:05:00 PM
The fact both men were too polite and English to say anything about the other stealing their cookies is the kicker.

That, and Douglas Adams thought the other guy was brazenly stealing his cookies, while in fact he was stealing the stranger's cookies because his own were underneath his newspaper.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2016, 06:26:36 PM
Terrorists have seized hostages in a hotel in Birkina-Fassau said to be popular with westerners.  French and US troops involved in the confrontation.

Saw some rough footage; looked like the hotel was on fire.
Vacation plans to Wagadugu: cancelled.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on January 15, 2016, 10:55:49 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2016, 10:05:00 PM

That, and Douglas Adams thought the other guy was brazenly stealing his cookies, while in fact he was stealing the stranger's cookies because his own were underneath his newspaper.

That kind of reversal is typical of anecdotes like this, but I don't think it would have been as good a story if he had spoken up.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on January 15, 2016, 10:57:36 PM

So not Ouagadougoo?  :nerd: :nerd:

typo  :sleep:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2016, 02:37:15 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 15, 2016, 10:57:36 PM

So not Ouagadougoo?  :nerd: :nerd:

typo  :sleep:

I learned it Ouagadougou. Chrome backs me up on this.  :showoff:

Duque de Bragança

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on January 15, 2016, 07:52:08 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2016, 06:22:44 PM

You would have preferred it was in German or Italian?
I've heard one Italian rock band...they were OK.
German works very well for rock.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I once had a British teacher argue that Spanish is totally wrong for rock due to how our word stressing works.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on January 16, 2016, 06:37:40 AM
I once had a British teacher argue that Spanish is totally wrong for rock due to how our word stressing works.

I like the Spanish cover of Hotel California. That might have been Mexican though, do they stress differently?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

When I think French language rock I always think of Ca Plane Pour Moi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agL9ftHYrRQ

-_-

EDIT: while looking for a decent video of it I also came across Dorothée - Les Petits Ewoks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJpa-2ygp5w :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.