And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 06, 2015, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2015, 02:05:39 PM
Has anyone ever been to a local TED? I like to browse their online archives, but not sure if I want to pay 100+ for the Vienna event at the end of the month (though the speakers look interesting ... then again most of it will be online afterwards ...).

Is it "real" TED or TEDx?  The TEDx events are only loosely affiliated with the core organization and tend to be worthless shit filled with kooky fringe bullshit.

It's TEDx: http://www.tedxvienna.at/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2015, 06:05:38 PM
Oh, since nobody cared the first time, large swathes of Columbia have been evacuated.  Dams have burst all over the uplands, and, seriously, the city's underwater.

Barack Obama doesn't care about white people.  Or other black people. :(

See the bug thread for awesome flooding news!  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I bought a new phone, a Galaxy s5. Considering there was a 200 euro difference between it and the 6 and it has some advantages, including a biggie (better battery life) I went with it.
It is rather lovely. I like the step tracker (how does it work?) and the google maps tracking. Also having mobile data again rules.
Though I do miss the comfort of the iphone keyboard...and I always accidentally hit the two android buttons to either side of the main button at the bottom with my palm.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I only recently learned that sloths crap 1/3 their body weight in one go! :worthy:

I miss my Greatest Shits thread. BB shut that fucker down like a jaywalking ring. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2015, 07:29:51 PM
If Colonel Sanders were alive today he would be beating the leadership at Yum to death with his cane.

The stock market is doing it for him today.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2015, 02:15:37 PM
I only recently learned that sloths crap 1/3 their body weight in one go! :worthy:

I miss my Greatest Shits thread. BB shut that fucker down like a jaywalking ring. :(

:nelson:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Overheard in Lisbon - Everyone hates Toronto unless you live there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2015, 09:22:46 AM

If they are from Canada that makes sense. People in Canada tend to hate Toronto (unless they live there), for much the same reason people in the UK hate London (unless they live there). The perception is that it is overbearing and full of itself, to the detriment of people who live elsewhere.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 08, 2015, 09:33:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2015, 09:22:46 AM

If they are from Canada that makes sense. People in Canada tend to hate Toronto (unless they live there), for much the same reason people in the UK hate London (unless they live there). The perception is that it is overbearing and full of itself, to the detriment of people who live elsewhere.

Not so much in the West anymore.  We are so heavily oriented toward the Asian markets that if we think about Toronto now it is only to laugh at the Leafs and cheer on the Jays.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Cheering for Toronto is very hard. Cheering for an American league team is harder.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2015, 11:38:49 AM
Cheering for Toronto is very hard. Cheering for an American league team is harder.

:console:

The crime of 1994 will never be erased. It is all Tom Glavine's fault.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Christ, I'm waiting for a phone interview today, and I couldn't sleep last night.  I'm so fucking tired.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017