News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Got myself another cortisone shot yesterday.  My shoulder hasn't felt this good since.....well since the last cortisone shot.  :P

Jaron

Quote from: Liep on September 22, 2015, 03:15:25 AM
Stay closed I'd say. It's so comforting that other countries (and even one usually thought of as very effecient) can also fuck up in such an extraordinary way.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

Today I noticed one of the candidates in the local elections has the wonderful family name of 'Despot'. My vote is with him.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Going to work very early today, I saw an ominous sight: two crows cawing, omenically, over the subway entrance in the deserted early dawn.

I was reminded of this old Scottish ballad:

QuoteAs I was walking all alane,
[8] I heard twa[9] corbies[10] making a mane;
[11] The tane[12] unto the t'other say,
'Where sall we gang and dine to-day?'
'In behint yon auld fail[13] dyke,
I wot[14] there lies a new slain knight;
And naebody kens[15] that he lies there,
But his hawk, his hound, and lady fair.
'His hound is to the hunting gane,[16]
His hawk to fetch the wild-fowl hame,[17]
His lady's taen[18] another mate,
So we may mak our dinner sweet.
'Ye'll sit on his white hause-bane,[19]
And I'll pike[20] out his bonny blue een;[21]
Wi ae lock o his gowden[22] hair
We'll theek[23] our nest when it grows bare.
'Mony[24] a one for him makes mane,[25]
But nane sall ken[26] where he is gane;[16]
Oer[27] his white banes,[28] when they are bare,
The wind sall blaw[29] for evermair.[30]'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Ravens#The_Twa_Corbies

I had no idea, until I looked up the lyrics, that the "Twa Corbies" was a more cynical version of an English ballad, "the Three Ravens". Live and learn.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: Jaron on September 22, 2015, 12:11:01 PM
Quote from: Liep on September 22, 2015, 03:15:25 AM
Stay closed I'd say. It's so comforting that other countries (and even one usually thought of as very effecient) can also fuck up in such an extraordinary way.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Brazen

Did we have a thread about the hedge fund manager who took over a pharmaceutical firm and raised the price of a drug used to treat toxoplasmosis, not least in AIDS patients and raised the price 5000% from $13.50 to $750?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34332363

He's since backed down, but I was interested in the price of the drug in the UK. It's £13. Not each, but for 30 tablets. And GSK aren't shy of making a profit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34322720

Syt

Wasn't there also a planned price hike for a medication against multi-resistant TBC that went from 500.- to 10,000? And after protests it was reduced to 1,000?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Pricing is a difficult field. So many companies charge less than they should.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I give up with the trying to hack my iphone game. And I don't really fancy buying a new one when I already have this.
So I think I'll get a new android.
Are google nexuses (nexii?) much good?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

New ones are coming very soon.

The Nexus 5 (2013) is a fine phone, battery life sucks.
The Nexus 6 is a giant phone but is nice.

If you want keep it close to the iOS experience get a Samsung.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

I've had several Samsung Sx models in a row and I will again.

Malthus

I hardly ever watch sports, but I was at a relative's house last night (for the post-Yom Kippur feast) and someone turned on the baseball game - Blue Jays vs. Yankees. We only watched a short while, but it was actually a great bit of baseball - the Jays hit a home run. Looks like they are actually doing well this year.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2015, 09:20:48 AM
the Jays hit a home run. Looks like they are actually doing well this year.

Have you been living under a rock the last few months?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2015, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2015, 09:20:48 AM
the Jays hit a home run. Looks like they are actually doing well this year.

Have you been living under a rock the last few months?

When it comes to pro sports - yep.  :D I hardly ever notice them, unless they are brought to my attention somehow.

I was just surprsied that, watching ten minutes of a random game, it was (by pure chance) the exact right ten minutes.