Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on July 03, 2015, 12:48:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2015, 10:00:40 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 03, 2015, 02:59:43 AM
They have an important job then, pay them.

As Syt pointed out, the impact of their strike is a function of their legally protected monopoly.

It's not really unheard of to unionise here, so even if it had been private companies the result would've been the same.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I saw Alice Cooper today. Good show, does what it says on the tin.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2015, 01:05:41 AM
Egypt is lower than Iraq, Pakistan or Afghanistan? What the hell?

I'm surprised Venezuela is so high.  Some of my co-workers watched Venezuelan television while we were in Colombia.  They said it's El imperealismo de los Yanquis all the time.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 05:14:04 PM
Yep. And then the glorious world of adjuncting.

It's dumb, and she kinda knows it, but it's not like she has skills. (History undergrad.)

She does not like it when I imply her field of study is borderline-worthless,

Ide, turning on the charm.  :wub:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

Quote from: Savonarola on July 03, 2015, 05:26:41 PM

I'm surprised Venezuela is so high.  Some of my co-workers watched Venezuelan television while we were in Colombia.  They said it's El imperealismo de los Yanquis all the time.

I think/hope that a lot of Venezuelans see the Chavez/Maduro nonsense for what it is.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on July 03, 2015, 05:30:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 05:14:04 PM
Yep. And then the glorious world of adjuncting.

It's dumb, and she kinda knows it, but it's not like she has skills. (History undergrad.)

She does not like it when I imply her field of study is borderline-worthless,

Ide, turning on the charm.  :wub:

-_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on July 03, 2015, 06:07:39 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 03, 2015, 05:26:41 PM

I think/hope that a lot of Venezuelans see the Chavez/Maduro nonsense for what it is.

Maybe they think if they can't beat us, join us.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I went to July 4th celebrations at Ft. Jackson today with a couple work pals.  You get what you pay for, I guess.  It was a decent if very constrained (and low-tempo) firework show, with one of the crappiest bands in the Army playing half good patriotic songs from the 19th century and half terrible ones from, presumably, the second half of the 20th.
Kinemalogue

Syt

Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2015, 02:28:53 AM
Police have raided an old man's villa near Kiel after hints that he might store some war memorabilia.

Among the things they recovered:

The man's lawyer says that his client broke no laws because all of the items had been rendered unusable for combat and are therefore exempt from the War Weapons Control Act.

Good news! The man gets to keep his V1-rocket, as it's missing wings, engine and guiding system and is therefore considered not dangerous.

It seems that he had a bit of a display in the basement for the Panther and the 88, covering the place in red marble and putting Third Reich stone eagles in the corners.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

One of the worst things about this horrible heat- hang overs from hell
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on July 04, 2015, 04:44:36 AM
One of the worst things about this horrible heat- hang overs from hell

:yes: :x
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2015, 02:56:22 AM

Police have raided an old man's villa near Kiel after hints that he might store some war memorabilia.

Good news! The man gets to keep his V1-rocket, as it's missing wings, engine and guiding system and is therefore considered not dangerous.

:thumbsup:

lustindarkness

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 04, 2015, 09:37:00 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2015, 02:56:22 AM

:thumbsup:

:yeah: 2nd amendment FTW!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

When I was taking my dog for a walk yesterday I noticed a lot of overweight people at the places tourists normally go along the route I like to take.

Lots of Americans are in town for the World Cup final.  Cooincidence?