News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Former CNN reporter guns down an armed robber.

Watch the video interview, sounds pretty badass if it went down like described

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/robber-shot-dead-ex-cnn-reporter-identified-n386231
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Good on them.

But a Motel 6 in ABQ?  That's practically asking for trouble.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2015, 06:58:04 AM
According to the Swedish Deputy Prime Minister Auschwitz is in Southern Germany. IM LEARNING STUFFS
:lol:

(He might have meant Dachau which was in Bavaria)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Our new Minister of Science and Education doesn't believe in the big bang theory or evolution. Also insists on calling black people for negroes.

Aha..
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2015, 06:58:04 AM
According to the Swedish Deputy Prime Minister Auschwitz is in Southern Germany. IM LEARNING STUFFS

Please do no tell that to Hans Frank or he will be really angry.

Syt

YouTubers react to Japanese Commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEh-BIaQnY

The Twist: They add Japanese YouTubers to explain/comment on the commercials. :D

Also, Japanese Mercedes/Super Mario crossover commercials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HumAWTYh92c  :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on July 03, 2015, 07:51:39 AM
Our new Minister of Science and Education doesn't believe in the big bang theory or evolution. Also insists on calling black people for negroes.

Aha..

In denmark? That wouldnt have flown even in george bushs america.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on July 03, 2015, 02:59:43 AM
They have an important job then, pay them.

As Syt pointed out, the impact of their strike is a function of their legally protected monopoly.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2015, 10:00:40 AM

As Syt pointed out, the impact of their strike is a function of their legally protected monopoly.

It's not really unheard of to unionise here, so even if it had been private companies the result would've been the same.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2015, 10:00:40 AM

It used to be that employees of state companies and institutions that were in the widest sense "infrastructure" (education, mail service, railroads, public administration, ...) had a special employment status that precluded them from striking. With the liberalization of certain branches and a general move of more and more staff to "normal" employment* these people can go on strike now and, as we know, regularly do. Unlike a strike in, say, the metal industry, it's not so much the employers that get inconvenienced, because they're in near monopolies and, if state owned, aren't as profit oriented as fully private owned companies), but the clients/general population who are left with limited alternatives, when commuter trains are halted, important mail doesn't go through or that crucial business flight is cancelled.

*in the special employement (Beamtenstatus) the employer saves on social security, but they have to pay the pensions of their folks when they retire. Because of the projected burden in future decades on the pubic coffers many (new) people were hired as "normal" employees (i.e. they pay social security now and get their pension from the retirement funds as everyone else - the base principle is that the current employees pay the current retirees' pensions ... something increasingly problematic because of the lackluster demographic development, i.e. less employees pay for more retirees.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Preaching to the choir Syt.  Talk to that commie Liep.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2015, 01:39:55 PM
Preaching to the choir Syt.  Talk to that commie Liep.

There's nothing he said that isn't similar to Denmark. It's welfare being halted instead of profits when government workers strike and so it hurts the public more than if VW workers striked.

But I don't see how this changes anything. If there's a monopoly it's all the more the government's responsibility to provide the infrastructural welfare.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Zanza

It's supposed to get to 100 Fahrenheit here this weekend. And there is no A/C anywhere. WTF.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould