And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2015, 09:36:56 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2015, 09:33:58 AM
I'm going to to enjoy my white privilege this afternoon. Have fun kids.

Going to confront the cops with a lower percentage chance of getting shot?

Har.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on April 10, 2015, 03:33:27 PM
What does Germany need more for?  The USA will pick up the task of defending them in any real situation.  I am surprised they don't just disband their military entirely and save the billions.
In fairness in any real situation France could do as good a job :P
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 10, 2015, 03:24:48 PM
Quote from: Reuters
German army to procure more than 100 additional Leopard 2 tanks
Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:15am EDT

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany plans to procure more than 100 additional Leopard 2 tanks, a government spokesman said on Friday, as it seeks to ensure its troops are ready for action in response to concerns over recent Russian assertiveness.

The decision to restock its military comes as NATO tries to hasten the response time of its rapid reaction force following Russia's annexation of Crimea last year and conflict in Ukraine.

"The ministry has decided to raise the upper limit for the future to 328," a defense ministry spokesman told a regular government news conference on Friday, confirming a report by German magazine Spiegel.

Just before the end of the Cold War, in the 1980s, the then West Germany had more than 3,500 tanks. Now, seventy years after World War Two, it has just 225. As a result soldiers have to share tanks and heavy equipment across different units.

Given NATO's new goals on flexibility and rapid reaction time, Germany has to ensure that it can deploy troops with the correct equipment to the right place in a short period of time, the spokesman said.

"This can only succeed if the equipment does not need to be first moved around through the country," he said.

The Leopard tanks are made by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW).

Germany only has two hundred tanks? What the hell.
Not even enough to equip one full division of troops. Come on Germany, get your act together! The Russians are on the war path!    :cool:

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 10, 2015, 04:47:17 PM
Cal's parents went through sheer hell with that, I'm sure.
It actually was in the local news a few times because my parents' lawyer happens to be the late Sen. Arlen Specter's son... it became a high profile case.  Anyway, yes they did and I'm still to this day surprised their marriage has lasted.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Lost my annual tenner bet on the National :(
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

We have more Leo 2 tanks than Germany itself  :huh:

Caliga

Makes sense.  Germany is more efficient.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

There is a bumble bee in my room.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

There is a billboard by the freeway that has a family holding hands and looking into the sky as a jet flies over with prominent contrails. The caption says "stop spraying us".

Edit: google found it.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

My wife is about to buy a hemi. It's a far cry from her current RX300.  :hmm:

Grey Fox

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 11, 2015, 09:57:02 PM
There is a billboard by the freeway that has a family holding hands and looking into the sky as a jet flies over with prominent contrails. The caption says "stop spraying us".

Edit: google found it.

Chemtrails do have averse effect on families health.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on April 10, 2015, 01:53:16 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2015, 09:10:21 AM
I wouldn't know because my sister died long before puberty, so I only have a brother now.
So sad, sorry to hear.   :(

My kid brother died at eleven yo. I was seventeen. Such a tough time on the family, parents especially. I always gave my parents a lot of credit for staying together as a lot of parents drift apart and such after a child dies.   :(

So sad for both of you. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 11, 2015, 10:23:03 PM
My wife is about to buy a hemi. It's a far cry from her current RX300.  :hmm:
Why?

Too big and the gas expenses are going to be huge.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

The r/t with a v8 gets slightly better mileage than my Toyota with a v6.  :P