News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2015, 11:16:09 AM
Speesh (or any Yanqui with kids): what kind of break does tio Samuel give on your kids, in addition to the exemption?  Partial credit for day care?  Deductible?

I get $5,000 tax free dollars a year (well I do not get the dollars, but I get to spend $5,000 of my own dollars without paying income tax on it). Thanks Obama!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

We can claim up to $6000 worth of child care expenses in the Tax Credit section of the form.  We spend more than twice that amount, but whatever.  Anyway, we get a certain % of that applied as a credit.  I don't know what our % is, but according to the IRS it can be up to 35% depending on adjusted gross income.  Pretty sure we don't get 35% of the $6000 but it's nice to get some of it back.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 11:18:22 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2015, 10:56:49 AM
Certainly I don't plan on having kids until I'm earning 100k a year.

While I applaud the thought, the problem is that your ideal child making years do not correlate well with the ideal earning years. We just did it when it made sense lifewise, in our early 30s, even though if we could have had them in our early 50s it would have made more sense money wise.

See, this is exactly why some serious social subsidization of child-care costs makes sense: if I could go back in time and give myself money to have kids earlier, I would.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2015, 11:11:34 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2015, 11:08:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2015, 10:56:49 AM
Certainly I don't plan on having kids until I'm earning 100k a year.

The only expense that troubles me is child care. 

Are you ever in for a shock  :P

Yeah I know there's other stuff coming.  I meant for the time being. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2015, 11:20:50 AM
We can claim up to $6000 worth of child care expenses in the Tax Credit section of the form.  We spend more than twice that amount, but whatever.  Anyway, we get a certain % of that applied as a credit.  I don't know what our % is, but according to the IRS it can be up to 35% depending on adjusted gross income.  Pretty sure we don't get 35% of the $6000 but it's nice to get some of it back.

Ah yeah we do that as well. Got to claim every bit of government help we can.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2015, 11:21:21 AM
See, this is exactly why some serious social subsidization of child-care costs makes sense: if I could go back in time and give myself money to have kids earlier, I would.  :lol:

I wanted three children. I desperately wanted three children and I still do. But I had to face that fact we can only afford two. That was bitter. Sometimes I feel like somebody died.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2015, 10:40:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 02, 2015, 10:38:58 AM
Without subsidize day care, I would not have children.

Now that it is being scaled back in your province, should we be calling child services?

:lol:

They said they would increase cost but then the majority government didn't pass the law. So, still good.

(Also my cost were only going to be 1.40$/day more, still fine.)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2015, 10:40:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 02, 2015, 10:38:58 AM
Without subsidize day care, I would not have children.

Now that it is being scaled back in your province, should we be calling child services?
Only if you speak French.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 11:26:50 AM
I wanted three children. I desperately wanted three children and I still do. But I had to face that fact we can only afford two. That was bitter. Sometimes I feel like somebody died.

I wanted three as well (hell, the wife would have had five if we could have afforded it).  But some days I'm perfectly happy we stopped at two.

Admiral Yi

Can't be arsed to dig up the Occupy Student Loans thread.

According to the Economist Walmart and Target are going to raise their hourly pay to $9/hour, because of the tight labor market.  Unemployment is 5.5%.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2015, 12:20:44 PM

According to the Economist Walmart and Target are going to raise their hourly pay to $9/hour, because of the tight labor market.  Unemployment is 5.5%.

NO IT HAS TO BE $10.10 AND SHOULD BE MANDATED BY LAW

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2015, 12:20:44 PM

Well that is good news.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Wife's cousin posted this on FB.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points