News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2015, 09:27:47 AM
Any day care with a philosophy behind it costs more and is more crappy in my limited experience.

Huh?

"The Rousseauian Day Care: we keep your children safe from being corrupted by institutions"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 09:20:56 AM
I have observed, that how much you pay does not seem to correlate exactly with the quality of the service. I have been very impressed with the excellence I have experienced with some of the cheaper places and some of the pricey ones seem crap. It really makes a big difference who the owners are and the culture they create.

Definitely.  The child care/preschool/Kindergarten place we've used for our kids does an outstanding job-- way better than some similarly- or higher-priced places.  They have plenty of staff and provide a stimulating environment.

The cost is still a kick in the pants, though-- can't wait til we get the younger one in first grade.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 02, 2015, 02:39:43 AM
It's strange that we're coming full-circle to where it's actually cheaper to hire a Mary Poppins than use a day care.

Even better when you have a Ukrainian aunt you can hire.  ;)

Seriously though - child-care costs are absurdly high, and that is a significant social problem.

The main problem with nannies is not cost (particularly for multiples), it is that having a live-in is a pretty significant intrusion into your personal life - here is this stranger living in your house, and she's there more than you are. Again, having her be a relation helps, trust-wise.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 09:29:18 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2015, 09:27:47 AM
Any day care with a philosophy behind it costs more and is more crappy in my limited experience.

Huh?

"The Rousseauian Day Care: we keep your children safe from being corrupted by institutions"

I like the Ayn Rand daycare they had in the Simpsons.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

See Viper. Subsidize day care is better than all of this!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I am glad all of that is well behind us.  Mrs CC took a few years off during that time, not because we couldn't afford day care or a nanny but because the amount of pay left over after paying the cost didn't, in our (and more importantly her) mind justify missing out on spending that time with the kids.

Grey Fox

Without subsidize day care, I would not have children.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 02, 2015, 10:38:58 AM

Now that it is being scaled back in your province, should we be calling child services?

Valmy

It is certainly a factor in family size over here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 10:45:27 AM

It is certainly a factor in family size over here.

Yeah, here too in some cases  <_<
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Certainly I don't plan on having kids until I'm earning 100k a year.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2015, 10:56:49 AM

The only expense that troubles me is child care.  It's not like it's that expensive to feed them and shopping for deals on clothes and toys is almost a hobby for the wife & me respectively.  If only my mom didn't suffer from "fibromyalgia" and could step up to the plate we wouldn't even have to use day care.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2015, 11:08:14 AM

The only expense that troubles me is child care. 

Are you ever in for a shock  :P

Admiral Yi

Speesh (or any Yanqui with kids): what kind of break does tio Samuel give on your kids, in addition to the exemption?  Partial credit for day care?  Deductible?

Valmy

While I applaud the thought, the problem is that your ideal child making years do not correlate well with the ideal earning years. We just did it when it made sense lifewise, in our early 30s, even though if we could have had them in our early 50s it would have made more sense money wise.