News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 24, 2015, 01:58:13 PM
My great-uncle was a salesman for Piels Beer.

My maternal grandfather supplemented his farming income with rum running during the prohibition - well to the extent he drove from the distilleries in Saskatchewan to the US border.  What happened after that, who can say? :shutup:

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2015, 02:21:02 PM

My maternal grandfather supplemented his farming income with rum running during the prohibition - well to the extent he drove from the distilleries in Saskatchewan to the US border.  What happened after that, who can say? :shutup:

I had a great-uncle on my mother's side who got into a Jewish bootlegging mafia.

He wasn't very successful - he was ambushed by a rival gang, who shot so many bullets from a Tommy Gun into him, they allegedly had to sweep him up and bury him in a bag.  :yuk:

Allegedly, for decades, his sorry career and ending were a deep, dark family secret, and people in the family just said he had "moved away".  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2015, 10:08:31 AM

At least in the next WW Americans had learned that Germans aren't bad people. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2015, 02:13:56 PM
No Zayn Malik thread? :huh:

Perhaps Languish doesn't have many members from his target demographic. I don't think Languish of the 90's would've had a Robbie Williams thread.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on March 25, 2015, 02:16:28 PM
I don't think Languish of the 90's would've had a Robbie Williams thread.

Don't think he ever really made it on this side of the pond.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2015, 02:13:56 PM
No Zayn Malik thread? :huh:
Had to google his name, but at least I had heard about his band before.  :)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

My Uncle Willie also sold beer, back in the 1920's.  They never did find his body.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Today Raz went to the local YMCA because some of the social workers wanted me to join the "Health Group".  It wasn't a bad experience.  Some random chick kept giving me encouragement, though I have no idea why.  She was rather attractive so the whole thing threw me off, especially because with a my Mustache I look like Gene Shalit after being thrown off a bridge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2015, 03:42:28 PM
Bergdahl has been charged with desertion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/03/25/bowe-bergdahl-once-missing-u-s-soldier-charged-with-desertion/?hpid=z1

It will be interesting to see how this story plays. 

My hunch is it will disappear.

Or maybe Hagel gets thrown under the bus?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2015, 09:55:46 PM
Today Raz went to the local YMCA because some of the social workers wanted me to join the "Health Group".  It wasn't a bad experience.  Some random chick kept giving me encouragement, though I have no idea why.  She was rather attractive so the whole thing threw me off, especially because with a my Mustache I look like Gene Shalit after being thrown off a bridge.

She probably works there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2015, 09:59:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2015, 09:55:46 PM

She probably works there.

No, that's what I thought, but I don't think that was the case.  She was running on the track like I was.