News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Well, it's no secret that American political system is not the most responsive democratic system in place.  We were first, but we entrenched a lot of mistakes along the way.

Zanza

I had:
Budweiser (Canada)
Bud Light (USA)  :x
Corona (Mexico)
Black Label (South Africa)
Windhoek Lager (Namibia)
St. George (Ethiopia)
Castel (Cameroon)
Sagres (Portugal)
Kronenborg (France)
Guinness (Ireland)
Heineken (Netherlands)
Viking (Iceland)
Oettinger (Germany)  :x
Stiegl (Austria)
Efes (Turkey)
Tuborg (Denmark & Nepal?)
Chang/Singha (Thailand)
Tiger (Singapore & Malaysia)
Angkor (Cambodia)
Beerlao (Laos)
Asahi (Japan)
Bintang (Indonesia)
VB (Australia)

Syt

I like Stiegl. :)

Bit surprised by Gambrinus. In Austria it's cheap swill bottom shelf stuff. Starobrno is the more popular Czech beer here (together with Budweiser - the Czech one, not the Anheuser Busch one :P ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

It usually going to be the massed produced cheap beer that is #1. A lot of people just use beer as a vehicle for getting drunk and don't care how good it is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Also, Chinese beer in Chinese restaurants here will almost invariably be Tsingtao, from the brewery the Germans founded. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2015, 01:48:38 PM
I like that as well. Stiegl is part of ski vacations. :) Just as "Gut, Besser, Gösser" Radler. :cheers:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2015, 01:49:57 PM
Also, Chinese beer in Chinese restaurants here will almost invariably be Tsingtao, from the brewery the Germans founded. :P

That's the only Chinese beer I've ever seen in the US.

My guess is the rest is horse piss.

Valmy

Same here. It's not too bad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

German imperialism *is* a net positive, after all.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I'm super surprised about South Korea.  Cass is a brand that didn't even exist when I lived there.  OB (another kraut brew) was 80% of the market.

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2015, 01:52:36 PM
I like that as well. Stiegl is part of ski vacations. :) Just as "Gut, Besser, Gösser" Radler. :cheers:

Stiegl Radler is an excellent lawnmower beer.  Is Oettinger really that bad?

Now I need to do my list.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2015, 01:56:25 PM

German imperialism *is* a net positive, after all.  :D

First thing upon arrival. "You know what this place needs? Beer!"
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Tsingtao is quite OK. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

German beer I'm generally not big on though, I'm not a pilsner fan.
White beer rules however.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2015, 01:52:36 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2015, 01:48:38 PM

Gösser is decent, but I prefer Ottakringer over it. But it might be that it's because Ottakringer is brewed in town.  :P

And Edelweiß is lovely if you like Hefeweizen. :cheers:
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

My beer list, per Zanza's pic:

I had:
Budweiser (Canada) :x :x :x
Bud Light (USA)  :x :x :x
Corona (Mexico) :x :x :x
Red Stripe (Jamaica)
Imperial (Costa Rica) - surprisingly not bad
Carib (Trinidad)
Quilmes (Argentina)
Brahma (Brazil)
Moretti (Italy)
Obolon (Ukraine)
Mythos (Greece)
Tyskie (Poland)
Juplier (Belgium)
Baltika (Russia)
Tusker (Kenya)
Lion (Sri Lanka) -- lager not so good but the stout is amazing
333 *Ba muy Ba beer best beer in Vietnam* (Vietnam)
San Miguel (Philippines)
Kingfisher (India)
Kronenborg (France)
Guinness (Ireland)
Heineken (Netherlands)
Stiegl (Austria)
Efes (Turkey)
Tuborg (Denmark)
Singha (Thailand)
Tiger (Singapore & Malaysia)
Asahi (Japan)
VB (Australia)

I've probably had Presidente from The Dominican Republic but I can't remember for sure.

Tracking my check-ins on Untappd, I have had beers from 45 unique countries.  Getting to 35 was a breeze.  40 took some effort.  45 tough.  50 (to max out the badge) seems impossible at this point unless I do some traveling.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall