News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on March 14, 2015, 04:02:52 PM
So yeah, carbon footprint, for sure; but I don't think if that store shut down the carbon output of transportation between Lisbon and Warsaw would drop one iota, since the same flights would happen in any case.

Presumably the flight wouldn't need as much fuel?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I thought our involvement in Pakistan's nastiness was limited to doing nothing.

Jacob: using your logic individuals should not be concerned about the environmental impact of their air travel either.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on March 14, 2015, 04:02:52 PM
The fish, presumably, are a small part of the cargo of the planes they're on. Those planes could be passenger flights or they could be dedicated cargo planes, but in either case those planes are likely going to be flying whether or not someone is shipping fish from Lisbon to Warsaw.

So yeah, carbon footprint, for sure; but I don't think if that store shut down the carbon output of transportation between Lisbon and Warsaw would drop one iota, since the same flights would happen in any case.

Over time, I don't think we can assume that every parcel of fish is occupying space that would just be empty. If there's enough demand for Portuguese fish, it will ultimately increase the number of flights. Besides, even if there weren't more flights, the heavier plane uses more fuel.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2015, 04:09:39 PM
Jacob: using your logic individuals should not be concerned about the environmental impact of their air travel either.

Environmental impact is definitely a thing, for all kinds of actions. Personally, I think a successful strategy for dealing with carbon emissions is going to involve a combination of regulations (emission standards, surcharges, etc) and technological improvement. I am sceptical that that wrinkling our noses at fashionable bourgeois specialty imports is going to have much of an impact.

I am, however, pleased that both you and garbon are concerned with carbon emissions :hug:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 14, 2015, 05:19:41 PM
I am sceptical that that wrinkling our noses at fashionable bourgeois specialty imports is going to have much of an impact.

No single act by itself "has much of an impact."  One CEO bopping around the globe on his private jet does not have much of an impact.  One person driving every day does not have much of an impact.  And obviously nose wrinkling has no impact whatsoever.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2015, 05:36:12 PM
I am sceptical that that wrinkling our noses at fashionable bourgeois specialty imports is going to have much of an impact.

No single act by itself "has much of an impact."  One CEO bopping around the globe on his private jet does not have much of an impact.  One person driving every day does not have much of an impact.  And obviously nose wrinkling has no impact whatsoever.

Something we agree on :)

Ed Anger

Time to get the Challenger out of the garage. :w00t:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

30 years ago today, the first domain was registered on 15 March, 1985.   :cool:

Fizzy bubbles at the ready: Dot-com celebrates 30th birthday
Symbolics registered first domain on 15 March, 1985
By Kelly Fiveash, 14 Mar 2015

In 1985 most commercial internet users were US government contractors, but all of that was set to slowly change after Symbolics became the first company to register a dot-com domain name.

Thirty years on, the total number of registered top-level domains (TLDs) surpassed 288 million at the end of 2014, according to the latest figures from VeriSign.

Back in the mid-80s, the globe was still four years away from the birth of the world wide web, when Tim Berners-Lee proposed the concept while working at CERN.

But that didn't stop Symbolics from registering the first dot-com domain name. In fact, just five domain names were registered in 1985.

Full article here, including just how non-significant they thought it would be:
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/14/dot_com_turns_30/

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

I'd be curious to know what kind of fishes get flown to Warsaw. Mart, next time they host that market take some pictures.  :P

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2015, 05:36:12 PM

If enough people wrinkle their noses, the market for damaging activities will dry up and even those who will still wish to participate in that market will become ashamed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on March 14, 2015, 07:47:14 PM
I'd be curious to know what kind of fishes get flown to Warsaw. Mart, next time they host that market take some pictures.  :P

Tilapia

Ed Anger

I've been thinking of using a service like NetJet. I just can't stand the cattle lines anymore at the airport.

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 14, 2015, 07:59:24 PM
Quote from: The Larch on March 14, 2015, 07:47:14 PM

Tilapia

Besides, tilapia would most probably be transported frozen in shipping containers.  :P

Ed Anger