News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2015, 08:26:25 AM
Go even older school, and move it to Memphis. 

Too close to Cairo to have much impact.

QuoteWatch Lettow freak.

Haha. Anyway, he's Nipponese now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2015, 04:50:57 AM
I think my neighbourhood might be gentryfying. Within the block I live there have recently opened: a hipster organic food store and bar; a wine store cum restaurant with queues and like 5 tables inside; another bare-bones Italian restaurant selling Italian gourmet food for take away; a weekly fresh Atlantic fish market with fish flown from Portugal; an Israeli-Lebanese coffee shop; a lesbian crepes/champagne bar; Bang-Olufsen boutique; and a pet clothes store. :unsure:

Edit: forgot a French boulangerie with overpriced baguettes and tiny marmelade jars.

That's not gentrification, that's becoming posh.

garbon

Well that didn't take long. Just had my first British 'celeb' sighting. Saw Russell Tovey walking his French Bulldog.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Trying to remember my first celeb sighting when I moved to the USA... must have been Piper Perabo at a vodka bar in Soho.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2015, 07:55:13 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 07:51:05 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2015, 06:50:52 PM
Found this piece really interesting:
http://newsweekpakistan.com/uneasy-conversations/

That was really interesting. Thank you for sharing that. I have heard about the war in passing but know nothing about it. Considering how the creation of Pakistan went in 1947 I figured it was probably very nasty.
And allegedly America's role in it is also pretty nasty:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/books/review/the-blood-telegram-by-gary-j-bass.html?_r=0

QuoteI think my neighbourhood might be gentryfying. Within the block I live there have recently opened: a hipster organic food store and bar; a wine store cum restaurant with queues and like 5 tables inside; another bare-bones Italian restaurant selling Italian gourmet food for take away; a weekly fresh Atlantic fish market with fish flown from Portugal; an Israeli-Lebanese coffee shop; a lesbian crepes/champagne bar; Bang-Olufsen boutique; and a pet clothes store. :unsure:
We've recently got a new sourdough bakery opening up in my area of London <_< (:wub:) :bleeding:

Also in the news. Egypt's planning to build a new capital city:
http://cairobserver.com/post/113543612414/chasing-mirages-in-the-desert#.VQQuYI7ke4H

I thought Egypt was busy fighting economic collapse :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 14, 2015, 10:00:50 AM
Trying to remember my first celeb sighting when I moved to the USA... must have been Piper Perabo at a vodka bar in Soho.

The first I remember was one of the wayans brothers, then Alan Cumming. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I have never seen a celebrity in the flesh. Well, apart from concerts and sporting events.

Tonitrus

The closest thing to a celeb sighting I've ever had, in the flesh (if you don't count GWB on the campaign trail before becoming President), was pitcher Randy Johnson pumping gas at the same place I was back when he was a Seattle Mariner.

Capetan Mihali

I've seen Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and a couple of Knicks players.

EDIT:  And almost bumped into Sonia Sotomayor in downtown NY while she was browsing some crappy jewelry, right before her appointment.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on March 14, 2015, 08:57:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2015, 04:50:57 AM
I think my neighbourhood might be gentryfying. Within the block I live there have recently opened: a hipster organic food store and bar; a wine store cum restaurant with queues and like 5 tables inside; another bare-bones Italian restaurant selling Italian gourmet food for take away; a weekly fresh Atlantic fish market with fish flown from Portugal; an Israeli-Lebanese coffee shop; a lesbian crepes/champagne bar; Bang-Olufsen boutique; and a pet clothes store. :unsure:

Edit: forgot a French boulangerie with overpriced baguettes and tiny marmelade jars.

That's not gentrification, that's becoming posh.

That's not becoming posh, that's flying in the face of seventy years of defense strategy that says not to geographically centralize high-value targets.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2015, 01:07:38 PM
That's not becoming posh, that's flying in the face of seventy years of defense strategy that says not to geographically centralize high-value targets.

Those stores have no military value.  :unsure:

Ideologue

The part that really bothers me is the "fish flown in from Portugal."  That's the decline and fall of the West in a sentence.  "Pet clothes" is pretty bad too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 14, 2015, 11:46:07 AM
pitcher Randy Johnson pumping gas at the same place I was back when he was a Seattle Mariner.

Bird murderer.   :mad:

Tonitrus

Pretty sure that had to be suicide.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 14, 2015, 01:21:50 PM
Pretty sure that had to be suicide.

The bird had the right of way.  At the very least it was involuntary manslaughter.