News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

That's why I like big track and field events; they're easy to grasp. "First across the finish line wins!" "Who jumps furthest/highest wins!" "Who throws impractical object the furthest wins!" Etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2015, 01:07:37 PM
And now you know how a lot of people feel about curling. :P

Truth be told I don't enjoy watching curling on tv very much (though March is the so-called Season of Champions, and there is a whole crapload of curling on tv these days).

But if people would try curling for themselves I am sure they would love it.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2015, 01:12:45 PM
But if people would try curling for themselves I am sure they would love it.   :cool:
I've tried many sports, not curling though, but football is the most fun to play yourself from those I tried. 

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on March 10, 2015, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2015, 01:12:45 PM
I've tried many sports, not curling though, but football is the most fun to play yourself from those I tried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_curling_clubs_in_Germany

Get going.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2015, 01:10:42 PM
One sport that I really enjoyed watching after the rules and strategy were explained to me is Cricket.  But without understanding what I was seeing it seemed very boring.

Indeed.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2015, 12:49:19 PM
Heh, I love to watch (college) basketball, and I can even understand the nature of designing and running plays...but it's still the refereeing of the penalties I just can't grasp. How is that block a charge?  How is that charge a block?  WTF? Just seems so much more subjective than other sports, with the exception of the strike zone.

Block/charge usually boils down to if the defender has his second foot planted.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2015, 02:34:28 PM
Heh, I love to watch (college) basketball, and I can even understand the nature of designing and running plays...but it's still the refereeing of the penalties I just can't grasp. How is that block a charge?  How is that charge a block?  WTF? Just seems so much more subjective than other sports, with the exception of the strike zone.

It usually boils down to what the ref is watching in the instant it occurs.  One of the hardest calls in sports.

alfred russel

According to some studies, it also comes down to other factors such as which team has made the last fouls, which team has the lead, and which team has home court advantage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on March 10, 2015, 02:55:56 PM

According to some studies, it also comes down to other factors such as which team has made the last fouls, which team has the lead, and which team has home court advantage.

Interesting.  I have suspected it had something to do with home court advantage - it has got to be psychologically difficult to call a block when the everyone in the building thinks they saw a charge.

Caliga

Robin Thicke has a big... settlement to pay to the family of Marvin Gaye. :nelson:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2015, 08:43:16 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2015, 08:39:42 AM
I so do not get the complete world love for Soccer.

Very happily surprised to see Baseball #1 in both Taiwan and Japan.  Though since the Japanese are two time world champions maybe I should not be surprised.
It's definitely #2 in Korea as well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Ah, I do so miss this time of the year.

QuoteBGE warns of low-flying helicopter checks of transmission lines
Baltimore Sun

Residents across a large swath of central Maryland should not be alarmed if they see a red-and-white helicopter hovering above utility lines this month, according to Baltimore Gas & Electric Co.

The electric company will be using a helicopter contractor for flights low to the ground above utility lines in Anne Arundel, Calvert, Carroll, Frederick and Prince George's counties through the end of the month, BGE said.

Most of the work will occur on weekdays between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., with "some occasional weekend and late afternoon work required" as well, BGE said.

"The helicopter provides an aerial perspective on equipment and allows BGE to inspect the system more efficiently than using ground inspections alone," the company said. "BGE crews will also continue to inspect power lines and equipment from the ground."

In addition to flight paths along transmission lines, the helicopter — which will also bear the BGE logo on its doors and belly — also may be seen hovering above electric towers, BGE said.

Crew on the helicopter will be taking photographs of towers and equipment, BGE said. The images and additional ground surveys will be used to identify worn and damaged equipment, which then will be scheduled for repair, the company said.

BGE has about 1,300 miles of high-voltage overhead transmission lines in central Maryland.

mongers

Why not?

Back in the groove 70s:

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2015, 10:12:15 AM
QuoteWith crash damage to its front and side, the vehicle's condition means it's unlikely to be auctioned.

Odd.  The police pounds around here will auction off anything.  Same goes for their own vehicles.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2015, 03:26:45 PM
Interesting.  I have suspected it had something to do with home court advantage - it has got to be psychologically difficult to call a block when the everyone in the building thinks they saw a charge.

No ref would ever admit it, but I have to think it's a factor. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall