News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2014, 06:25:17 PM
Had we somehow gotten across the Atlantic to burn Parliament and Buckingham Palace I doubt we'd be making childish jokes about it at our embassy in London.

Maybe Obama was right to diss the Brits.
The only thing childish I see here is not being able to take the joke.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2014, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2014, 06:25:17 PM
Had we somehow gotten across the Atlantic to burn Parliament and Buckingham Palace I doubt we'd be making childish jokes about it at our embassy in London.

Maybe Obama was right to diss the Brits.
The only thing childish I see here is not being able to take the joke.

I prefer my jokes to have a bit of humor. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2014, 06:28:35 PM
I prefer my jokes to have a bit of humor. :P
My condolences.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2014, 06:07:49 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2014, 05:57:31 PM
We celebrate victories over Britain all the time. This is really no different.

I don't think we celebrate them at our embassy in London.

None of your victories over Britain happened in London.

I'm pretty sure the US embassy in London throws a big 4th of July bash though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 06:43:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the US embassy in London throws a big 4th of July bash though.

It'd be odd if they didn't celebrate the birth of our nation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

It is a long ago and rather amusing event. It is fine to be light hearted about.
Given July 4 is actively celebrated by the American government and british diplomats usually go along to such events with few complaints even at stuff like the patriot.... America really should give Britain this one.
██████
██████
██████

sbr

I thought it was funny when I saw it last night.  Not laugh out loud funny, but I got a good silent chuckle out of it.  Maybe because it was so unexpected to see an "official" Tweet like that.

Admiral Yi

I don't think it's particularly insulting.  Just a flat joke.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2014, 06:55:42 PM
I don't think it's particularly insulting.  Just a flat joke.

Yeah.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2014, 06:07:50 PM
We celebrate victories over Britain all the time.

All the time? :unsure:

Lord knows that if I am in England any July 16th I sure as hell am going to celebrate the Battle of Stony Point by sneaking up on a Brit at night and whacking him on the head.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

I want Benedict Arnold's skull as my semen cup.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2014, 06:09:06 PM
At least once per year.

I can't think of one.  I can think of one celebrating the signing a document, but that's it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

July 4th tends to be a celebration of the DoI for its own worth as a living document promoting the concepts of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Free Refills, not as an anti-Brit Star Spangled Spectacular.

I mean, there's not a whole lot of "yeah, fuck the Brits and their quartering of troops" when it comes to the BBQ and fireworks.

garbon

Quote from: PDH on August 25, 2014, 07:22:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2014, 06:07:50 PM
We celebrate victories over Britain all the time.

All the time? :unsure:

Lord knows that if I am in England any July 16th I sure as hell am going to celebrate the Battle of Stony Point by sneaking up on a Brit at night and whacking him on the head.

:lol: