Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on July 15, 2014, 01:33:20 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 14, 2014, 06:42:30 PM
I'm sorry about your friend, Cal. :(
Thanks all.  I still don't know much but it was liver surgery.  I last had lunch with him a month or so ago and he didn't mention anything about being sick or needing surgery. :mellow:
I just exchanged emails with his business partner and this is what she told me:  He came down with a pancreatic infection about a week ago, and the bacteria was very aggressive.  It spread to his kidneys, so they put him on dialysis.  Unfortunately by that point, his liver had also shut down, and they found out that his colon had been punctured, which just spread the infection all over his body within a matter of hours.  They took him into emergency colon surgery, and he died 10 minutes into it.  Tried to resuscitate him for 48 minutes unsuccessfully, and he passed at 10:40am yesterday morning.

WHAT.  THE.  FUCK. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

That sucks, man.  Sorry to hear it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

MadImmortalMan

That's the kind of thing that makes you not want to work so hard to stay healthy. I mean if you can just go from zero to dead in less than a week. I think I'll open a bottle of wine.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

How the hell did hos colon get punctured?  Doesnt sound like something that goes hand in hand with an internal infection.

alfred russel

Does anyone know how many countries there were in 1930?

At work today there were some old documents being passed around, and one said a company was present in 76 countries in 1930. I said, "that must have been most of the countries in the world back then" and another guy was like, "you're crazy, there are way more than 76 countries", and I replied, "now yes, but in 1930 the world was less fragmented and more colonized."

He was skeptical. I tried googling this unsuccessfully.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

DGuller

Wow, Dorsey was right.  :blink:

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 15, 2014, 05:14:51 PM
That's the kind of thing that makes you not want to work so hard to stay healthy. I mean if you can just go from zero to dead in less than a week. I think I'll open a bottle of wine.
What I want to know is: how does one get a pancreas infection?  All of the possible causes are things I need to avoid, like hardcore.

DGuller

I hope pancreas does something really important, other than give you extremely lethal cancers and infections.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on July 15, 2014, 06:47:07 PM
I hope pancreas does something really important, other than give you extremely lethal cancers and infections.
Doesn't it make insulin?  That seems like a pretty important job.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2014, 01:41:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2014, 11:42:34 AM
Before and after of what loss. Dude - 160lbs and chick - 120lbs. :o

It's like they melted.

Nonetheless I approve.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on July 15, 2014, 05:35:02 PM
Does anyone know how many countries there were in 1930?

At work today there were some old documents being passed around, and one said a company was present in 76 countries in 1930. I said, "that must have been most of the countries in the world back then" and another guy was like, "you're crazy, there are way more than 76 countries", and I replied, "now yes, but in 1930 the world was less fragmented and more colonized."

He was skeptical. I tried googling this unsuccessfully.

And yet his obvious educational inferiority in the field of history hasn't impacted his life at all.  Interesting data point.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014