News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Hollande is working hard to get the FN elected I see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

The fascination of this forum with nuclear energy will never cease to amaze me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2014, 11:35:00 AM

Why?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Elaborate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Dang, out of popcorn.  Pretzels will have to do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

France, which gets something like 70 or 80 percent of their energy consumption from nuclear want to lower it to "only" 50 percent, and people go crazy. Its not really smart to depend so much from one single source of power, and even less when it forces them to be constantly involved in African shitholes that sell them most of their uranium.

Valmy

Taking down proven clean energy generation in favor of policies that are suspect if not already proven to be failures?  In an economy teetering on the brink like France's?  I especially like the goal of reducing energy consumption by 50%.  I mean are France's buildings really that inefficient that a few remodels will reduce energy consumption that much in a growing population?  LOL
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2014, 11:45:53 AM
France, which gets something like 70 or 80 percent of their energy consumption from nuclear want to lower it to "only" 50 percent, and people go crazy. Its not really smart to depend so much from one single source of power, and even less when it forces them to be constantly involved in African shitholes that sell them most of their uranium.

Canada has plenty of uranium to sell. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_mining_in_Canada
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Nuclear is not clean at all. You get a big pile of nuclear waste that you have to dispose, cant take that out of the equation.

And energy efficiency is a huge challenge for the future. Lots of energy is wasted due to ineficiencies that can be corrected. Its a step in the right direction, although that 50 percent mark seems a bit outrageous.

Admiral Yi

Its not really smart to depend so much from one single source of power

I don't see why not.  It's not as if the science of fission is highly variable.

The Brain

It's 70-80% of electricity, not of energy consumption. Lots of countries produce uranium if the shitholes stop flowing. Renewables are more dangerous than nuclear.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2014, 11:51:01 AM
Nuclear is not clean at all. You get a big pile of nuclear waste that you have to dispose, cant take that out of the equation.

It is in all fairness a very tiny pile, it's one of the things about nuclear that you get a low volume of waste and you don't release it to the environment. And there are ways to dispose it, you can for instance bury it. Works great.

Barrister

Its not really smart to depend so much from one single source of power,

Manitoba (and Quebec) get virtually 100% of their electricity from a single source - hydro.

While some sources of electricity are dangerous to rely to heavily on because they are quite variable) solar and wind for example), diversity of electricity sources is not a virtue in and of itself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2014, 11:51:23 AM

QuoteMany minor earthquakes (magnitude 1 or less) are detected every year in France. The average number of earthquakes increases by a factor of 10 when the magnitude threshold is reduced by 1. Estimates suggest that every century in France, there is approximately one earthquake of magnitude 6 or more, ten earthquakes of magnitude 5 or more, one hundred of magnitude 4 or more and more than one thousand earthquakes of magnitude 3 or more. Worldwide over the same period, there are more than 10,000 earthquakes of magnitude 6 or more. On average, about twenty earthquakes of magnitude 3.5 or more are detected every year in mainland France ...

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2014, 11:58:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2014, 11:51:23 AM

QuoteMany minor earthquakes (magnitude 1 or less) are detected every year in France. The average number of earthquakes increases by a factor of 10 when the magnitude threshold is reduced by 1. Estimates suggest that every century in France, there is approximately one earthquake of magnitude 6 or more, ten earthquakes of magnitude 5 or more, one hundred of magnitude 4 or more and more than one thousand earthquakes of magnitude 3 or more. Worldwide over the same period, there are more than 10,000 earthquakes of magnitude 6 or more. On average, about twenty earthquakes of magnitude 3.5 or more are detected every year in mainland France ...

:unsure: