News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: frunk on June 11, 2014, 08:59:56 PM

That's primarily because our rail system uses decades old trains with decades even older track.  A decent high speed rail network would make all the difference.

I don't agree.

It is 245 miles between Atlanta and Charlotte.

That is roughly the same distance from Munich to Frankfurt. These are your options:
a) Direct flight, 1 hour 5 minutes, $225 (per kayak, in mid/late july)
b) Drive, 3h 21min per google maps (without traffic, 4h with traffic)
c) Train, 3h 21 min, $133

So in this case, a train would save you money versus airfare, but not driving. In Europe you get a benefit in that trains leave from the city center and arrive in the city center, where the people are and want to be. So going to the airport and arriving at the airport also has the added hastle and cost of travel to and from those locations. That often tips the scale in favor of train travel. In the US, in general, there aren't true city centers, and not much in the way of public transport should you find yourself in one.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Hmmm, be able to hop into my car and drive where and when I want to or be stuck with a train schedule and then either having to get a taxi or ride public transportation and get a disease from the poors at the destination.

Hard choice for me there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on June 11, 2014, 09:12:20 PM
Rails primary importance IMO is in local transport, not so much cross country stuff.
If a town has decent rail links then it opens up employment opportunities to everyone there and means they don't have to have a car to have a life.
Future development IMO will/should follow early 20th century lines of railway stations at the centre and houses being built around them.

As to hsr being useless in the US because of the need to have a car at the destination- this is a problem that needs to be fixed. However, Japan too is a very car centric country. Yet high speed rail works very well here.

Japan also has 120m people and is smaller than Montana. You can't compare Japan to the US.

I'm all for developing intra city rail in US cities. I'm also in a distinct minority on this (at least here) and it isn't going to happen here anytime soon. Until we get halfway decent intra city public transport, I don't see intercity rail ever working.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that a state court in California ruled that teacher tenure is unconstitutional.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2014, 09:31:13 PM
Heard on NPR that a state court in California ruled that teacher tenure is unconstitutional.

There was a thread on that on EUOT yesterday.  It seemed that it was the particular way the Cali law worked that they didn't like, not tenure in general but I didn't read much of it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 11, 2014, 09:19:58 PM
Quote from: frunk on June 11, 2014, 08:59:56 PM

That's primarily because our rail system uses decades old trains with decades even older track.  A decent high speed rail network would make all the difference.

I don't agree.

It is 245 miles between Atlanta and Charlotte.

That is roughly the same distance from Munich to Frankfurt. These are your options:
a) Direct flight, 1 hour 5 minutes, $225 (per kayak, in mid/late july)
b) Drive, 3h 21min per google maps (without traffic, 4h with traffic)
c) Train, 3h 21 min, $133

So in this case, a train would save you money versus airfare, but not driving. In Europe you get a benefit in that trains leave from the city center and arrive in the city center, where the people are and want to be. So going to the airport and arriving at the airport also has the added hastle and cost of travel to and from those locations. That often tips the scale in favor of train travel. In the US, in general, there aren't true city centers, and not much in the way of public transport should you find yourself in one.

Your direct flight timeline (and to some extend trains as well) ignores the pre/post-flight delays (i.e. security).

Intercity maglev trains would be about equally as fast, and would probably be far cheaper than air travel on a day-to-day basis.  What makes it completely impossible, however, is the initial infrastructure costs and obtaining necessary right-of-ways.

But what we really need to maximize convenience, ease of travel, safety and time is automated flying cars.  :mad:

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on June 11, 2014, 09:26:14 PM
Rails primary importance IMO is in local transport, not so much cross country stuff.
If a town has decent rail links then it opens up employment opportunities to everyone there and means they don't have to have a car to have a life.
Future development IMO will/should follow early 20th century lines of railway stations at the centre and houses being built around them.

As to hsr being useless in the US because of the need to have a car at the destination- this is a problem that needs to be fixed. However, Japan too is a very car centric country. Yet high speed rail works very well here.

Japan also has 120m people and is smaller than Montana. You can't compare Japan to the US.

I'm all for developing intra city rail in US cities. I'm also in a distinct minority on this (at least here) and it isn't going to happen here anytime soon. Until we get halfway decent intra city public transport, I don't see intercity rail ever working.
You can however quite easily compare japan and California or the Boston-Atlanta area.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2014, 10:06:45 PM
Boston-Atlanta? :unsure:
Whoops. Been reading Gibson.
It's.... Boston-Richmond today iirc?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, aka Teh Northeast Corridor, aka the Boston-DC corridor.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on June 11, 2014, 09:57:44 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 11, 2014, 09:26:14 PM

You can however quite easily compare japan and California or the Boston-Atlanta area.

Even California has less than a third of japans population but is bigger than the country.

Eddie Teach

Yeah but nearly everyone in California lives near the coast.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

A weird thought that struck me when I was cycling to work in the rain- why is it that human hair naturally grows to cover our eyes?
I mean.... Nature couldn't have expected we would develop scissors to cut it. How did prehistoric man manage :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on June 11, 2014, 10:51:01 PM
A weird thought that struck me when I was cycling to work in the rain- why is it that human hair naturally grows to cover our eyes?
I mean.... Nature couldn't have expected we would develop scissors to cut it. How did prehistoric man manage :hmm:

Concentrated hair growth was probably well after we learned to use tools. So I guess nature already knew.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk