And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2014, 05:15:27 PM
You can buy such cars today.
:huh: You can?  My impression was that we're getting there, and there are prototypes out there, but are there models being sold that actually drive completely autonomously (and not just correct your fuck-ups)?

Zanza

The cars you can buy now are artificially hobbled. They'll only drive autonomous up to 35 mph/50kph or so and usually only for 10-20 seconds until they complain that you should touch the steering wheel again. But that's a legal restriction as liability is not clear if the car really drives itself. It's not a technical issue anymore.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2014, 05:28:53 PM
The cars you can buy now are artificially hobbled. They'll only drive autonomous up to 35 mph/50kph or so and usually only for 10-20 seconds until they complain that you should touch the steering wheel again. But that's a legal restriction as liability is not clear if the car really drives itself. It's not a technical issue anymore.
Interesting.  :hmm: Sounds like all that's left to invent is the automatic steering wheel toucher, and we're good to go.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2014, 05:28:53 PM

Its a technical issue because it can't handle all corner cases.  Even airplane autopilots can't, though aircraft have enough margin for error that the pilots can take over when the autopilot goes out to lunch.  Highway traffic doesn't have those margins, especially when you need to deal with people who are driving by hand.

alfred russel

I have always been adamantly opposed to self driving cars. I can drive myself around.

But the thought just occurred to me: no more drunk driving. If this self driving nonsense starts to take off, I might have to invest in a bar in a car centric city.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Cars are so 20th century. Trains are where the future lies. Lets have society back please
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on June 11, 2014, 08:31:24 PM
Cars are so 20th century. Trains are where the future lies. Lets have society back please

Trains may work great in densely populated areas like Europe and Japan, but they really don't work in more sparsely populated areas such as most of the US. Assuming we are talking about intercity travel.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ideologue

Trains would actually work pretty well for Big City to Big City (or Semi-Big City) travel and we really ought to have more of that (likewise, I'm unsure that all the tractor trailers rolling across the country on our interstates are more efficient, once all externalities are taken into account, than trains).

But within a suburban/semi-rural sprawl like you find in most of the East Coast?  You'd need an inordinate amount of track and an inordinate number of stops to get people to and fro effectively.  There's a reason only poors take the bus.  Firstly, because it is associated with poors.  But also because it's a pain in the ass.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Now I'm in a bad mood.  I should note that didn't get this way until after I posted that stuff to Derspeiss.  My stupid fucking brother is leaving his wretched dogs over here because he can't be assed to pay a kennel or something.  So I have to have all three cats in my room tonight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Do their breaths smell like cat food?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Fixing the sprawl and better Public transport.... It's Americas choice; chickens or eggs.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on June 11, 2014, 08:41:44 PM
Fixing the sprawl and better Public transport.... It's Americas choice; chickens or eggs.

One day we'll all live underground in giant hives of human inactivity and computerized stimulation, while nature reclaims the surface world.  Hopefully, we'll also die back to about a billion or two.
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on June 11, 2014, 08:39:51 PM
Trains would actually work pretty well for Big City to Big City (or Semi-Big City) travel and we really ought to have more of that (likewise, I'm unsure that all the tractor trailers rolling across the country on our interstates are more efficient, once all externalities are taken into account, than trains).

But within a suburban/semi-rural sprawl like you find in most of the East Coast?  You'd need an inordinate amount of track and an inordinate number of stops to get people to and fro effectively.  There's a reason only poors take the bus.  Firstly, because it is associated with poors.  But also because it's a pain in the ass.

Well no (for passenger travel, there may be something to freight). Take Atlanta to Charlotte. Without looking at flight schedules, a flight probably takes an hour or so. A train, even a fast one, would probably take way more. And train tickets aren't cheap. The frequently cost as much or more than similar flights.

The biggest problem is that you then need a car in either Atlanta or Charlotte. So the options you have to get between the cities:
a) go for speed, and fly between them, and then rent a car at the destination (fast but expensive)
b) drive the trip, bringing your own car (cheap but slow)
c) take the train and rent a car at the destination. After you drive to the train station, wait for the train, rent a new car at the destination, etc, this may be the slowest option, and could even be the most expensive.

frunk

Quote from: alfred russel on June 11, 2014, 08:50:57 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 11, 2014, 08:39:51 PM

Well no (for passenger travel, there may be something to freight). Take Atlanta to Charlotte. Without looking at flight schedules, a flight probably takes an hour or so. A train, even a fast one, would probably take way more. And train tickets aren't cheap. The frequently cost as much or more than similar flights.

The biggest problem is that you then need a car in either Atlanta or Charlotte. So the options you have to get between the cities:
a) go for speed, and fly between them, and then rent a car at the destination (fast but expensive)
b) drive the trip, bringing your own car (cheap but slow)
c) take the train and rent a car at the destination. After you drive to the train station, wait for the train, rent a new car at the destination, etc, this may be the slowest option, and could even be the most expensive.

That's primarily because our rail system uses decades old trains with decades even older track.  A decent high speed rail network would make all the difference.

Josquius

Rails primary importance IMO is in local transport, not so much cross country stuff.
If a town has decent rail links then it opens up employment opportunities to everyone there and means they don't have to have a car to have a life.
Future development IMO will/should follow early 20th century lines of railway stations at the centre and houses being built around them.

As to hsr being useless in the US because of the need to have a car at the destination- this is a problem that needs to be fixed. However, Japan too is a very car centric country. Yet high speed rail works very well here.
██████
██████
██████