Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2014, 11:52:24 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2014, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2014, 10:57:19 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2014, 10:17:00 AM
Me?

Yes.

A little.  I'm usually warming something up or helping my wife with whatever she's making.  I used to like cooking on my own but the wife's criticism of my very basic skills sort of killed that.

About the only time I'm cooking anything on my own initiative it's outside on the grill, inside making chili or pulled pork BBQ, or in the garage brewing a batch of beer (which gets odd looks from my neighbors who probably think I'm cooking meth).

Be a nice husband, buy your wife a gas Oven/stovetop.

Or better yet - don't.

Gifts of kitchen appliances are a very, very dangerous gift to give, because of all the potential mixed messages it might send.

e.g. 'hey honey your food sucks - so have a better gas range'
'you love cooking all my food for me right? so here's a way you can do it even better'
'I only think of you as a cook / maid / babysitter - here's a new gas range'
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

Got to say Beeb probably is right.

I've been cooking for myself for the best part of 25 years now, and I think I have evolved a bit. Cooking is actually one of the few things I am really good at.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2014, 11:56:58 AM
Me?

Yes.

A little.  I'm usually warming something up or helping my wife with whatever she's making.  I used to like cooking on my own but the wife's criticism of my very basic skills sort of killed that.

About the only time I'm cooking anything on my own initiative it's outside on the grill, inside making chili or pulled pork BBQ, or in the garage brewing a batch of beer (which gets odd looks from my neighbors who probably think I'm cooking meth).

Or better yet - don't.

Gifts of kitchen appliances are a very, very dangerous gift to give, because of all the potential mixed messages it might send.

'you love cooking all my food for me right? so here's a way you can do it even better'

My mother's birthday gift to my wife when we were first married: a fancy mop.

Well, a Swiffer, to be technical.

It was meant well - my mom was all excited about this new Swiffer thing - but it was unfortunately another example of my mom's tone-deafness when it comes to my wife.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2014, 11:56:58 AM
Me?

Yes.

Or better yet - don't.

Don't give it to her a bday gift. Just go and buy a new stove.

Anglos have too much hang ups about appliances.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

My wife would love a gas range (or any improved cooking implement) for her birthday.  Thing is, we don't have a gas line running to our house.  I'm guessing there's a gas line on our street but we don't have our house connected.  So we're all electric for everything. 

I've never lived anywhere that uses gas, and having seen all the movies where gas leaks are a huge problem (or a convenient tool for murderers & assassins), I don't want gas!  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2014, 12:23:10 PM
My wife would love a gas range (or any improved cooking implement) for her birthday.  Thing is, we don't have a gas line running to our house.  I'm guessing there's a gas line on our street but we don't have our house connected.  So we're all electric for everything. 

I've never lived anywhere that uses gas, and having seen all the movies where gas leaks are a huge problem (or a convenient tool for murderers & assassins), I don't want gas!  :unsure:

1: On the one hand, that's a pretty reasonable answer.  Getting a gasline hooked up to your house would cost a few thousand dollars.  Might not be worth it.  Though I would ask - what do you heat your house with? :unsure:

2: Gas is wonderful though.  It is cheap, low CO2, and very convenient.

Capetan Mihali

I know there are gas stoves that can be hooked up to an independent tank rather than a gas main.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Norgy

You could get a propane grill for outdoors use?
Propane is relatively cheap.

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 30, 2014, 12:59:44 PM
I know there are gas stoves that can be hooked up to an independent tank rather than a gas main.

I've mostly had a gas line running to every home I've owned.

The exception was in Whitehorse, where we had fuel oil and an independent tank.  It was a huge pain in the ass.  I can't see why you'd do that unless you had to.

Norgy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 30, 2014, 12:59:44 PM

Indeed there are. Carrying huge containers of explosive material isn't my idea of a good time, though.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

1: On the one hand, that's a pretty reasonable answer.  Getting a gasline hooked up to your house would cost a few thousand dollars.  Might not be worth it.  Though I would ask - what do you heat your house with? :unsure:

2: Gas is wonderful though.  It is cheap, low CO2, and very convenient.

I'd love to have Gas in my house but Alas, my old suburb was built in the late 60s, after 1962, when Quebec became allergic to natural gas.

My house is heated electrically.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Though I would ask - what do you heat your house with? :unsure:

High efficiency electric heat pump.

Quote from: Norgy on May 30, 2014, 01:01:00 PM

I use a propane grill on the deck.  And I use a propane burner to brew.  May try my hand at frying a turkey using it this Thanksgiving.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2014, 01:13:43 PM
Though I would ask - what do you heat your house with? :unsure:

High efficiency electric heat pump.

Quote from: Norgy on May 30, 2014, 01:01:00 PM

I use a propane grill on the deck.  And I use a propane burner to brew.  May try my hand at frying a turkey using it this Thanksgiving.

Then I'll just shut up. For a while, at least.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Norgy on May 30, 2014, 01:02:11 PM
Indeed there are. Carrying huge containers of explosive material isn't my idea of a good time, though.

If you use replaceable cylinders, the gas company swaps them for you.  If you use a fixed tank, they fill it up by truck.  The only times you have to handle propane yourself are the relatively small cylinders used for grills and camp stoves.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"