And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2014, 01:32:13 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 05, 2014, 01:27:54 PM
Your point being? I thought we were talking unions in general? Most people work in service industries and often don't face as much foreign competition as a manufacturer of durable goods.

I thought you were making the point that since German unions are  industry-wide their actions won't impact competitiveness.

Whereas the German autoworkers union  could theoretically price domestic manufacturers out of the market.

German autoworkers have actually priced themselves out of the market.

The industry has adapted though. They dominate the premium car segment, which is less sensitive to prices and have expanded pretty much all over the world (VAG group has factories all over Europe, in the US, Mexico, BRICs, Argentina ...). I'm guessing a fair bit of the engineering for these is still based in Germany (as well as tier I suppliers). My own employer is a preferred supplier, and though quite a bit of the engineering is done in Spain and some in Mexico it is based in the Fatherland.

Sheilbh

Snooker! :w00t: :o

I've also received more texts from my dad in the last few hours about this game than I have in probably the past couple of years :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

It is a great comeback, and quite surprising that Ronnie is so awful.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

The Atlantic is starting a photo series on WW1. It's pretty cool  :cool:

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on May 05, 2014, 02:29:11 PM
German autoworkers have actually priced themselves out of the market.
Employment in the German automotive industry has actually grown the last few years.

QuoteThe industry has adapted though. They dominate the premium car segment, which is less sensitive to prices and have expanded pretty much all over the world (VAG group has factories all over Europe, in the US, Mexico, BRICs, Argentina ...). I'm guessing a fair bit of the engineering for these is still based in Germany (as well as tier I suppliers). My own employer is a preferred supplier, and though quite a bit of the engineering is done in Spain and some in Mexico it is based in the Fatherland.
Globalization and gaining global market share allows for more bloated corporate headquarters and bigger engineering teams. Of course there is a trend to build capacity in the emerging markets, but the growth of the last decade allowed the German automotive industry to expand without reducing total employment in Germany. There was a substitution of blue collar with white collar jobs though.

Iormlund

That was what I was aiming at, Zanza.

German blue-collar autoworkers are € for € worse than say, Spaniards. But German firms have adapted to this scenario, something which Detroit never did.

The Brain

Now he's hating on Detroit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Selby. :w00t:

What a last clearance.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Incredible.

Really glad for Selby too :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I'm sure he meant Richard Shelby, Alabama Senator.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Today is my first day back to work after 12 days off.
What a world. Work sucks so much but so does being unemployed.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Today I have a consultant originally from Cluj coming in to the office.  Should I take him to: a blood bank for lunch. :cool:

If Tamas was here, I guess I'd let him beat the dude up too. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points