And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on September 03, 2013, 10:29:05 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2013, 04:27:57 AM

More like easiest generation.  "What'd you do, grandpa?" "FOUGHT HITLER."  "What'd you do, dad?"  "Avoided the draft in Vietnam, became a successful civil servant."  "And what did you do?"  "Survived as America fell apart because there was nothing else I could do."

I'm sure that CdM's uncle was reflecting on how easy things were while on Iwo Jima.

I think several languishites have fought al qaeda/taliban/people in random islamic countries passed off as al qaeda and the taliban while America fell apart. There are still alternatives.

I didn't mean easiest to live through necessarily.  I meant easiest to be a good person who did something with their lives in.

If you fought in World War II, you saw real results in your lifetime (unless you died), then you came home and unless you were all fucked up (physically or mentally--and it is often overlooked how many were) you experienced the greatest sustained prosperity America has ever known (unless you were a minority or a woman--although for that matter you could, if you wanted, be on the side of minorities and women and help affect real change).

If you fought in Vietnam, you saw America actually defeated and you came home, even if you were okay, to suffer economic malaise.  Also you're probably still alive, which for many is clearly a bummer.

If you fought in Iraq or Afghanistan, you know you basically wasted your time.  If you didn't, you still probably wasted your time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

You could fight for the rights of people to be deviants, freaks and weirdos.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2013, 02:35:51 PM
I didn't mean easiest to live through necessarily.  I meant easiest to be a good person who did something with their lives in.

If you fought in World War II, you saw real results in your lifetime (unless you died), then you came home and unless you were all fucked up (physically or mentally--and it is often overlooked how many were) you experienced the greatest sustained prosperity America has ever known (unless you were a minority or a woman--although for that matter you could, if you wanted, be on the side of minorities and women and help affect real change).

If you fought in Vietnam, you saw America actually defeated and you came home, even if you were okay, to suffer economic malaise.  Also you're probably still alive, which for many is clearly a bummer.

If you fought in Iraq or Afghanistan, you know you basically wasted your time.  If you didn't, you still probably wasted your time.

Today I have fought for world peace by arguing with Berkut on the internet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

In the endless search of saving a few bucks in internet service, The Wife just changed my 60mbps Charter Internet for 18mbps with U-Verse to save $40 a month. :bleeding: Add to that having to learn all new channel numbers. :bleeding:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Phillip V

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 03, 2013, 05:52:54 PM
In the endless search of saving a few bucks in internet service, The Wife just changed my 60mbps Charter Internet for 18mbps with U-Verse to save $40 a month. :bleeding: Add to that having to learn all new channel numbers. :bleeding:

Not worth it. :(

What is your new advertised upload speed?

lustindarkness

No idea, I have her on the phone dealing with Charter again. Lesser of two evils with better interweb tubes. :yeah:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

I survive with 20mb, you can too. It'll make you tougher.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

30 mbps should be enough to shoot annoying teenagers on the PS3.  I win! We stay with Charter, a few less bucks and a new wireless router just because.  :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Fucking fast speeder.

Stupid canadians ISPs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

And you people wonder why Mayors get such massive Exec Protection details.

QuoteTalkeetna 'Honorary Mayor,' Stubbs the Cat, Claws Way to Recovery

ANCHORAGE, Alaska—
The honorary cat mayor of Talkeetna continues to claw his way to recovery Tuesday after being attacked by a dog.

"Mayor" Stubbs, a cat, was jokingly given the title shortly after his birth in 1997. The title eventually led to stardom after Channel 2 shared the story in 2012.

Lauri Stec is Stubbs' owner and a general manager of West Rib Pub and Grill in the tourist town down the road from Denali State Park. She says the cat is recovering at the Big Lake-Susitna Veterinary Hospital after the weekend attack, which left Stubbs with a punctured lung among other injuries, but much won't be known about his condition until veterinarians remove chest tubes.

"Right now they really have him very heavily sedated because he's in so much pain," Stec said. "They probably won't pull the chest tubes until tomorrow."

Stec was at home late Saturday evening when she got a call about Stubbs.

The cat was attacked by a dog, and Stec and others in the community searched for him until shortly after 11 p.m., when he finally came out of hiding to the owner's calls.

"He knows me, so he came out," she said.

Stec said the offending dog was not picked up by animal control because it happened late Saturday evening, but she plans to file a report after Labor Day.

"As far as I'm concerned he needs to go away," she said about the dog.

The would-be dog assassin is in hiding, Stec said, and Stubbs is recovering at a veterinarian's office in Wasilla. The cat's other injuries include a fractured sternum, which already required a three-hour surgery.

"All I can say right now is he's holding his own," Stec said Monday.

Donations toward Stubbs' medical bills are being taken on an Indiegogo website set up to help fund his recovery.

Ed Anger

The dogs must be...relocated.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: alfred russel on September 03, 2013, 03:43:19 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2013, 02:35:51 PM

Today I have fought for world peace by arguing with Berkut on the internet.
The horror... the horror.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Phillip V

The county I live in ranks No. 1 in North Carolina for gonorrhea. HIV/AIDS and syphilis cases have also increased. :showoff:

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/09/04/1279782

Syt

Well, I'm glad I didn't have sex with anyone when I visited there in 2002.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

Quote from: Syt on September 03, 2013, 10:39:57 PM
Well, I'm glad I didn't have sex with anyone when I visited there in 2002.
You sure?