News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 26, 2013, 11:11:12 AM
@Lusti- she is not skinny, just because she's not fat. She appears to eat sufficiently and have an active lifestyle.

Looks like a pretty skeleton with skin still attached to me. To each his own I guess.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Jake: that meshes quite a bit with what I picked up about education and the job market in Sweden from reading The Girl With the Dragoon Tattoo.  There's room for about 20 new journalists a year, so there are 20 spots for journalists in universities.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2013, 12:21:03 PM
Jake: that meshes quite a bit with what I picked up about education and the job market in Sweden from reading The Girl With the Dragoon Tattoo.  There's room for about 20 new journalists a year, so there are 20 spots for journalists in universities.

It really prompts the question: Why is Scandinavia so perfect when we are so shitty?  Is it the colder it gets, the better human brains work?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on August 26, 2013, 12:24:39 PM
It really prompts the question: Why is Scandinavia so perfect when we are so shitty?  Is it the colder it gets, the better human brains work?

Would you be singing the same tune if your grades have landed you in the dishwasher career track?

Ideologue

In Scandinavia all workers are treated with respect and dignity.  But no.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on August 26, 2013, 12:43:02 PM
In Scandinavia all workers are treated with respect and dignity.  But no.

There's still plenty of bullshit in Scandinavia, and people being people will still find ways to be dicks to one another.

That said, I doubt you'd be on the dishwashing track if you'd grown up in Scandinavia.

@Yi - I don't think it's quite as dirigiste as you're implying.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2013, 12:21:03 PM

That sounds kind of risky.  What if a significant number drop out or turn out to be terrible journalists?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2013, 12:52:52 PM
@Yi - I don't think it's quite as dirigiste as you're implying.

That is an awesome word.  Thanks. :)

Quote from: ValmyThat sounds kind of risky.  What if a significant number drop out or turn out to be terrible journalists?

Hire people who don't have journalism degrees or even leave demand unmet, and produce slightly more next year?  It's a decent question but unless the mismatch is catastrophic (ala American law programs, or American architecture programs, or American liberal arts programs, or American pharamacy programs, or America) in reverse, it doesn't seem like it'd be a tremendous problem.
Kinemalogue

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2013, 12:53:18 PMThat sounds kind of risky.  What if a significant number drop out or turn out to be terrible journalists?

Well, I suspect (having been absent for a number of years) that it's not quite as one-to-one on the nose as that. In part, I imagine, it's too complex to manage in that level of detail; secondly it'd be pretty silly as you suggest.

I don't know how the numbers are set or managed, however, so I can't shed any light on it - but I expect it's on a broader scale than what you're suggesting. My uncle is a retired teacher (after a very varied career) and he's visiting me this September - I'll ask him how it's done.

I was poking around a bit on Danish sites about education and it appears it's not just your grades that are considered, but life experience adds as well - so taking two years off to travel in Africa or whatever may very well improve your chances of going to med-school later. So it's far from uncommon to get mediocre grades, fail to get into the uni-course you want, and then spend some time doing other activities - including supplemental education - to get into the program you want at a later date. The whole system is a bit opaque to me be at first glance, but there's a system and it seems reasonably satisfying to the people in it and it's definitely not the Chinese model of "this one set of grades sets the course of your life, you better not fuck it up."

... and to rub it in at a bit more (sorry Ide) - the government gives you a stipend if you're going to school. I.e. the pay you to study, not the other way around.

Ideologue

Man, I bet it's hard to pay that stipend back, though, right?
Kinemalogue

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on August 26, 2013, 01:11:44 PM

It's a stipend, you don't pay it back. I guess I should have said "grant" instead.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2013, 01:22:02 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 26, 2013, 01:11:44 PM

It's a stipend, you don't pay it back. I guess I should have said "grant" instead.

Are you *trying* to make Ide's head explode?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Finnally, someone championing another education system then the bullshit Anglo-Saxon one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

What percentage of high school graduates go on to college in Denmark?

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 26, 2013, 09:47:49 AM
I just watched that Miley Cyrus clip from the VMA'S. Yuk.

Taylor Swift: yum. Even though she is a man eater.

I watched that shit. VMA's what a joke.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".