News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2013, 03:49:19 PM
Dude sets fire to nuclear sub to get out of work; causes ~$400M damage and gets 17 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/us/navy-submarine-lost/index.html

Well, hey. It worked. He won't have to work for 17 years.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2013, 04:42:41 PMWell, hey. It worked. He won't have to work for 17 years.

I think they make them do work in prison these days...?  :unsure:

Liep

Quote from: Liep on August 08, 2013, 04:39:49 PM
There'll be a cabinet reshuffle tomorrow. The grossly incompetent Annette Vilhelmsen is swapped out for the rocker loving, but more suiting, Henrik Sass. Hopefully Holger K., the most boring man in Danish politics, will also move out.

Pia Olsen Dyhr new minister of transport, I'm sure she can't be worse than the previous: the Highway Gang, Asphalt Hans and I-haven't-heard-of-that-Kristensen
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2013, 04:46:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2013, 04:42:41 PMWell, hey. It worked. He won't have to work for 17 years.

So are you saying his cunning plan had a flaw?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

You can refuse to work. :)  At the peril of losing good-time credit and parole eligibility, but I figure this is federal prison time anyways, so a 15% reduction is the best you can get anyways.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

I hope the prison has good fire insurance...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 08, 2013, 07:54:50 PMI hope the prison has good fire insurance...

Too bad the navy didn't have it for the submarine.

Ideologue

I'm not sure any company would insure a warship, especially if the prospective liability were $400m.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

My mom bought me moonshine when she was in Tennessee a few days ago.  I know moonshine is legal & plentiful these days, but it's funny to thnk of her bootlegging 'shine up I-75.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Oh yeah, lots of times, once had a guy so dusted out on greens, he didn't even notice the chunk of scalp that was pulled off when I stepped on his hair and got it caught in the gurney frame while we were fighting with him in the back of an ambulance to get him into the ER, oops.  Saw a guy break his leg chains off, twisted the chain right off the cuffs.  Had one guy so dusted out the only way to calm him down was to grab the sides of his head, look him in the eyes and keep telling him "resistance is futile" over and over, only way to keep him calm.  Had to do that for 10 minutes. 
Yeah, fun times.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2013, 10:44:44 PMHad one guy so dusted out the only way to calm him down was to grab the sides of his head, look him in the eyes and keep telling him "resistance is futile" over and over, only way to keep him calm.  Had to do that for 10 minutes. 
Yeah, fun times.
Those Star Trek conventions must get wilder than I thought :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2013, 11:02:16 PM
LOL Officer Locutus.

Always fun fucking with people like that, just to see what they would do.  Tried it once and it worked, and then I stopped and he started freaking again.  So guess who wound up holding his fucking head and saying it over and over again until the medics showed up.  Go fig.