News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 22, 2013, 05:21:07 PM
I would have preferred a girl.
:yes:
All the best monarchs are queens.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2013, 06:42:13 PM
... alternately, you could go to Catalonia. They have a lovely Dali museum a bit outside of Barcelona.

The museum in Figueres is the largest Dalí museum; the one in St. Petersburg, Florida is only the second largest.  Plus you could visit the Dalí house in Cadaques.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

What exactly are the succession rules of the House of Battenburg?

Primogeniture, regardless of gender?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2013, 06:55:55 PM
:yes:
All the best monarchs are queens.

Queen is the best.   ;)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2013, 07:37:17 PM

All the Commonwealth members who have the Queen as their head of state agreed at a commonwealth conference several years back to amend their laws in order to switch to no gender preference.

Quebec has actually challenged this in Canada arguing that they need Quebec's Consent. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on July 22, 2013, 09:53:59 PM
All the Commonwealth members who have the Queen as their head of state agreed at a commonwealth conference several years back to amend their laws in order to switch to no gender preference.

Quebec has actually challenged this in Canada arguing that they need Quebec's Consent. :rolleyes:

Didn't know this.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2013, 07:37:17 PM

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2013, 05:24:10 PM
Why do you have to be like that?
Queens just seem much more majestic than Kings. Of course that's merely my personal opinion.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2013, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2013, 06:01:06 PM
Define "on the federal dime".  NYC is a huge federal tax donor, partly because well-functioning mass transit system increases population density, which in turns makes the economic engine more efficient.  I'm sure that investment paid for itself many times over.

Leaving aside the issue of the quality of the investment, it was an investment that NYC got and other cities didn't.
Who else could've gotten it?  Bumfuck, Alabama was a little too small for a subway.

DGuller