News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Speaking of LaGuardia, read a review of a book on LaGuardia and FDR.

Biggest takeaway is that NYC got hugely disproportionate amounts of WPA money, mostly used to build subway lines.

All this time I thought only people in DC rode in comfort on the federal dime.

jimmy olsen

I would have preferred a girl.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 22, 2013, 05:21:07 PM
I would have preferred a girl.
Why do you have to be like that?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2013, 04:58:41 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2013, 04:50:00 PM
No thread about Detective Fontana dying?  Is everyone else also getting used to various famous people dropping dead all over the place?

Helen Thomas...
:o I didn't hear about it.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2013, 02:19:47 PM
Re: realism, yeah, I agree it's the wrong word, but many don't know the term "illusionism."  In fact, I didn't till two minutes ago. :)  But it turns out that's what I really like in painting.  In this regard, you can compare Dali to, say, Leighton (either) or Raphael, and I think he's closer to their really cool techniques (particularly Leighton) than he is to Rivera's.  Particularly in how objects are sharply delineated from each other and backgrounds, having three-dimensional and discrete appearance.

It's silly to Dali realist, sure, but you might have to if you didn't have hifalutin terminology to bring to bear on him--which I don't, really, because I lack the serious interest in painting that I have in comics or film (I've often suspected you can only choose two media, tops, to really care about).  And I'd imagine most people are even less well-armed than I am in this regard.  So I guess my main point is that it's not inappropriate to cut some slack.

P.S. hey, I forgot about Max Ernst.  I give a shit about him too.  Europe After the Rain is rad.

Hifalutin terminology about art is what separates us from the apes (except the apes who paint, of course).

If you're ever in St. Petersburg Florida check out the Salvador Dali Museum.  It has a huge collection of his juvenilia, a decent collection of his surrealism and his later "Atomic Mysticism."

I saw a lecture once by French photographer Léon Herschtritt.  He had gone to Dalí's studio in order to photograph him.  Herschtritt said he spent the whole day trying to get Dalí to not act up while a Chinese intern did all Dalí's painting.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2013, 05:18:44 PM
Speaking of LaGuardia, read a review of a book on LaGuardia and FDR.

Biggest takeaway is that NYC got hugely disproportionate amounts of WPA money, mostly used to build subway lines.

All this time I thought only people in DC rode in comfort on the federal dime.
Define "on the federal dime".  NYC is a huge federal tax donor, partly because well-functioning mass transit system increases population density, which in turns makes the economic engine more efficient.  I'm sure that investment paid for itself many times over.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on July 22, 2013, 07:28:18 AM
Did Britain jump on the equal primogeniture wagon too?
I don't think we have yet. We would if there was a girl but it's got to get approved by all the Commonwealth too. They have in theory but it'll take time.

QuoteBreaking story about a Southwest flight from Nashville to LaGuardia with some kind of issue.
Dreamliner?
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2013, 06:01:06 PMNYC is a huge federal tax donor, partly because well-functioning mass transit system increases population density, which in turns makes the economic engine more efficient.  I'm sure that investment paid for itself many times over.

But mostly because Wall Street. They're paying NYC those taxes that CdM is not paying in Maryland right now.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2013, 06:01:06 PM
Define "on the federal dime".  NYC is a huge federal tax donor, partly because well-functioning mass transit system increases population density, which in turns makes the economic engine more efficient.  I'm sure that investment paid for itself many times over.

Leaving aside the issue of the quality of the investment, it was an investment that NYC got and other cities didn't.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 22, 2013, 06:03:55 PM
Dreamliner?

737.  Landing gear problem.  It seems they landed without the nose gear, or the nose gear collapsed, or something similar.

Caliga

Dreamliner?
IIRC the entire Southwest fleet is made up of 737s.  I've flown Southwest many, many times and every flight has always been on a 737.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Caliga on July 22, 2013, 06:20:34 PM
Dreamliner?
IIRC the entire Southwest fleet is made up of 737s.  I've flown Southwest many, many times and every flight has always been on a 737.

Yeah, I don't think they have anything else.  Just different versions of the 737 painted differently (do they still do that?  Shamu planes and such?).

Caliga

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 22, 2013, 06:22:22 PM
Yeah, I don't think they have anything else.  Just different versions of the 737 painted differently (do they still do that?  Shamu planes and such?).
I think so, but I've never flown on a Southwest flight with anything but the regular livery.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on July 22, 2013, 06:00:29 PM
Hifalutin terminology about art is what separates us from the apes (except the apes who paint, of course).

Also our large penises.  Look it up! :)

I'll totally check out the Dali museum if I'm ever in St. P.  But Florida... :bleeding:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

... alternately, you could go to Catalonia. They have a lovely Dali museum a bit outside of Barcelona.