News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Scalia & Kagan have apparently been going on hunting trips together, and Kagan shot a deer last fall :D

http://thehill.com/video/policy-areas/308885-kagan-scalia-took-me-big-game-hunting
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2013, 10:57:58 AM
Scalia & Kagan have apparently been going on hunting trips together, and Kagan shot a deer last fall :D

http://thehill.com/video/policy-areas/308885-kagan-scalia-took-me-big-game-hunting

Even Supreme Court Justices do team building activities :)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2013, 11:06:02 AM
Even Supreme Court Justices do team building activities :)

She'd have a bit of a problem with the "trust fall" with him, though.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 22, 2013, 09:45:19 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2013, 06:10:04 AM
I wanna do Pippa doggy style.

Hell, i woulda done Kate while she was preggers. :perv:

Apparently, you still have an opportunity. Go for it.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2013, 10:21:12 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2013, 09:45:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2013, 09:38:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2013, 09:03:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 22, 2013, 08:56:04 AM
poor kid

Eh he or she is going to grow up in this circus and be socialized to it.  This will be normal.

Doesn't mean they still won't be missing out.

True.  But all of us are born with our circumstances and that will tend to shape our lives in one way or the other...generally not as completely as the circumstances of this kid granted.

I was born without circumstances. :(

Is garbon: The Man Without Qualities for the 21st century?  :hmm:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2013, 10:57:58 AM

She's a good lawyer, she knows that long history of hunting together would make the eventual Cheney more credible.  :ph34r:

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on July 21, 2013, 09:25:13 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 20, 2013, 08:56:44 PM

Not totally ridiculous.  Dali's actual painting technique was realist, or representational I guess, in terms of light and shadow, and giving his subjects realistic weight, which is why, unless another's just not coming to mind, he's the only 20th century painter I genuinely give a shit about.

I always pegged you for a fan of Diego Rivera.

Realism is what Dalí was rebelling against (even as late as the 20s that was being taught at the Spanish Academy.)

He was okay, but I don't care for his painting technique, which is flat and childlike.

Re: realism, yeah, I agree it's the wrong word, but many don't know the term "illusionism."  In fact, I didn't till two minutes ago. :)  But it turns out that's what I really like in painting.  In this regard, you can compare Dali to, say, Leighton (either) or Raphael, and I think he's closer to their really cool techniques (particularly Leighton) than he is to Rivera's.  Particularly in how objects are sharply delineated from each other and backgrounds, having three-dimensional and discrete appearance.

It's silly to Dali realist, sure, but you might have to if you didn't have hifalutin terminology to bring to bear on him--which I don't, really, because I lack the serious interest in painting that I have in comics or film (I've often suspected you can only choose two media, tops, to really care about).  And I'd imagine most people are even less well-armed than I am in this regard.  So I guess my main point is that it's not inappropriate to cut some slack.

P.S. hey, I forgot about Max Ernst.  I give a shit about him too.  Europe After the Rain is rad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 21, 2013, 02:20:17 PM
The "new" Google Maps sucks major ass balls.

Google seems good at fixing/ruining things that aren't broken.

Like Google Mail.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

THANK GOD.  The dynasty is safe. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

No thread about Detective Fontana dying?  Is everyone else also getting used to various famous people dropping dead all over the place?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2013, 04:50:00 PM
No thread about Detective Fontana dying?  Is everyone else also getting used to various famous people dropping dead all over the place?

Helen Thomas...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on July 22, 2013, 03:25:21 PM
THANK GOD.  The dynasty is safe. :cool:
You know, I shouldn't care.  After all, I'll be long dead by the time the boy takes the throne, but I'm glad it was him and not a girl.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Breaking story about a Southwest flight from Nashville to LaGuardia with some kind of issue.