News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

We had a visit from my brother and his wife, who brought their yappy little Maltese.

No my cat has been around dogs, big dogs, his entire life.  He has no problem with dogs per se.  And he is the gentlest cat I have ever known - will snuggle with anyone, anytime.

But this little maltese... it's the one and only thing I've ever seen him take a disliking to.  He'll stalk the dog and take a swipe every chance he gets.  It's kind of funny.   :menace:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2013, 03:39:04 AM
When I visited SF the locals we met told us that it was so expensive living in SF itself that lots of public workers (they mostly focused on policemen) just couldn't afford to live in the city anymore, when it was a requiriment in the past for them to live on it to be able to work in the SF force. When that requiriment was lifted hundreds of them moved out as soon as they could.

Finalmente, an AAR.  :D

Peedy: San Francisco is a postage stamp and expensive as hell, but surely there are places in the East Bay someone can live on with 71K.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2013, 11:48:57 AM

Peedy: San Francisco is a postage stamp and expensive as hell, but surely there are places in the East Bay someone can live on with 71K.

"Someone can live" and "Someone wants to live" on 71k are two different things.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on July 02, 2013, 01:04:10 PM

Yes they are.  Surely there are places in the East Bay where one would want to live on 71K.

Iormlund

In an effort to stimulate the economy our beloved leaders have decided to lower taxes. Payroll? Nopes. VAT? No. Income? haha... They are eliminating tax on yatchs over 15m.  :glare:

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2013, 01:09:36 PM

Yes they are.  Surely there are places in the East Bay where one would want to live on 71K.

Maybe though I think most people don't want to live in the East Bay. :D

For one, the traffic is atrocious!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

QuoteBestiality brothels are 'spreading through Germany' warns campaigner as abusers turn to sex with animals as 'lifestyle choice'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2352779/Bestiality-brothels-spreading-Germany-campaigner-claims-abusers-sex-animals-lifestyle-choice.html

So apparently we don't just have legions of trafficked East European women, but also sheep in our brothels now...  :huh:

Well, according to the Daily Mail at least. ;)

PDH

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2013, 01:17:20 PM

The places I would want to be in the East Bay cost way more than the 71k.  I supposed I could rent a room in Orinda on those wages...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on July 02, 2013, 03:25:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2013, 01:17:20 PM

The places I would want to be in the East Bay cost way more than the 71k.  I supposed I could rent a room in Orinda on those wages...

Presumably one could rent a decent place in Berkeley with a salary of 71k. I had a great place in SF when I had a salary less than that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2013, 03:59:10 PM

Presumably one could rent a decent place in Berkeley with a salary of 71k. I had a great place in SF when I had a salary less than that.

Yep.  But it wouldn't be anything like what I could do with 71k here.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on July 02, 2013, 04:06:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2013, 03:59:10 PM

Yep.  But it wouldn't be anything like what I could do with 71k here.

But then you're there and I don't think I even got out of my car (I did eat at a roadside place but I think I was already in Nebraska by then). :P

Savonarola

QuoteDennis Rodman Says He Deserves Consideration for Nobel Peace Prize
By Alex Kay

Dennis Rodman is drawing quite a bit of attention lately for his exploits in North Korea and friendship with Kim Jong-un, the controversial leader of the country.

The five-time NBA champion is hoping to use his celebrity status to improve the tenuous relationship between America and North Korea. Rodman became the first American to meet with the Supreme Leader and is hoping to utilize his unique position to do some good in the world.

According to Franz Lidz of Sports Illustrated (via SI's Ben Golliver), Rodman believes he should be in consideration for a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in the country and attempt to broker talks between U.S. President Barack Obama and Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un.

The Worm had this to say about his ultimate goal in North Korea:

My mission is to break the ice between hostile countries. Why it's been left to me to smooth things over, I don't know. Dennis Rodman, of all people. Keeping us safe is really not my job; it's the black guy's [Obama's] job. But I'll tell you this: If I don't finish in the top three for the next Nobel Peace Prize, something's seriously wrong.

Rodman recently journeyed to Pyongyang, the capital of North Korea, with a few members of the Harlem Globetrotters and a crew from HBO's television series Vice.

The trip was highlighted by a contest between the North Korean team and the Globetrotters—which Kim Jong-un and Rodman presided over—and a raucous dinner reception where Rodman sang karaoke and spoke with many of the nation's top officials.

Before the trip, Rodman said he knew little of North Korea or the leader, per Lidz: "I didn't know Kim Jong-un from Lil' Kim. I didn't know what country he ruled or what went on in the country he ruled."

He changed his tune afterward, calling Kim "really awesome" and a "friend for life," and asked for President Obama to speak with him in a hope that the two nations can put an end to their differences:

Fact is, he hasn't bombed anywhere he's threatened to yet. Not South Korea, not Hawaii, not ... whatever. People say he's the worst guy in the world. All I know is Kim told me he doesn't want to go to war with America. His whole deal is to talk basketball with Obama. Unfortunately, Obama doesn't want to have anything to do with him. I ask, Mr. President, what's the harm in a simple phone call? This is a new age, man. Come on, Obama, reach out to Kim and be his friend

Rodman is attempting to leverage his new-found friendship with Kim by calling for the Supreme Leader to "do him a solid" and order the release of Kenneth Bae, the Korean-American tour guide who is set to serve a 15-year sentence of hard labor for alleged "hostile acts" against the state.

The Hall of Famer is scheduled to be back in North Korea in August to "chill, play some basketball and maybe go on vacation with Kim and his family."

While it sounds crazy, if Rodman's diplomatic forays into North Korea result in improved relations with a country that has been hostile towards America since the Cold War—and possibly the release of Bae—he could garner serious consideration for the Nobel Peace Prize.

While Rodman wouldn't be a worse choice for a Nobel Peace Prize than some who have actually won; of all the Bad Boys I'd have to pick Joe D as the most deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize.  Some of his trades have prevented celebratory rioting in Detroit for a decade.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Phillip V

Scared about the midterm elections and economy, Obama administration announces that the healthcare mandate for companies and their workers will be delayed until 2015.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/03/us/politics/obama-administration-to-delay-health-law-requirement-until-2015.html

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall