News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Capetan Mihali

Looking at the scotch-and-soda in one of the Kentucky Derby commemorative glasses I've bought at tag sales, the profound difference between American and European experiences of the World Wars is really brought home... we raced those thorobred sons of bitches right through One, from "Regret" to "Exterminator, and through Two as well, from "Johnstown" and "Gallahadion" at the outset, through "Shut Out" after Pearl Harbor, to "Hoop, Jr." and "Assault" with V-E and V-J days.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Camerus

Quote from: Malthus on June 11, 2013, 10:23:02 AM
Iranian scholar discovers - that Tom & Jerry is a Jewish Conspiracy!  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40VFcJTIduw&feature=youtu.be

That's a high level of scholarship right there.

sbr

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 12, 2013, 12:18:27 AM
Looking at the scotch-and-soda in one of the Kentucky Derby commemorative glasses I've bought at tag sales, the profound difference between American and European experiences of the World Wars is really brought home... we raced those thorobred sons of bitches right through One, from "Regret" to "Exterminator, and through Two as well, from "Johnstown" and "Gallahadion" at the outset, through "Shut Out" after Pearl Harbor, to "Hoop, Jr." and "Assault" with V-E and V-J days.

I understand all of the words individually, but I can't make any sense of what they are supposed to mean put together like this.

Grey Fox

That's one crazy sentence.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on June 12, 2013, 10:45:06 AM
I understand all of the words individually, but I can't make any sense of what they are supposed to mean put together like this.

The Kentucky Derby was held during WWI and WWII.  This shows that wartime conditions in the US were different from other countries. The winners were....

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2013, 11:07:40 AM
Quote from: sbr on June 12, 2013, 10:45:06 AM

The Kentucky Derby was held during WWI and WWII.  This shows that wartime conditions in the US were different from other countries. The winners were....

Ah, that makes sense.

11B4V

:huh:

NYC Teacher Tells Kids to Write Suicide Notes

(Newser) – English teacher Jessica Barrish apparently doesn't follow international news: Just 6 months ago, a French teacher came under fire for asking her class of 13- and 14-year-olds to pen a suicide note; it didn't end well. Barrish apparently did the very same thing in May, asking students of the same age at NYC's tony York Prep (tuition: north of $40,000 a year) to write a suicide letter from the point of view of a character who takes her own life in the Secret Life of Bees, reports the New York Post. Read the assignment: "How would you justify ending your life? What reasons would you give?"

The headmaster says no parents have complained; the Post tells a slightly different story, having talked to one parent who calls the assignment "outrageous." Barrish isn't alone when it comes to teachers in the news: The Local reports that a French teacher apparently decided that his math class needed a lesson in sadism on Monday. He allegedly showed his 11-year-old students the film Saw, telling them, "This will be your first horror film." He received a one-day suspension.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

:huh: Seems like a useful life skill to teach.

Josephus

Fireworks made in China? The nerve? What next? Tea?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Syt

It appears an Austrian seller of herbal teas, organic food etc is now adding a horizontal line across the vertical bar codes.

Reason: numerous customers of the esoteric demographic (a main target group for said seller) have complained that the parallel bar codes act as antennae, focusing negative energies. This is supposedly amplified by the neon lights and laser scanners in supermarkets. These negative energies are then absorbed by the food itself, and therefore by the people consuming it.

I found that hard to believe, but there's indeed numerous websites on the topic of how bar codes are bad for your health.

Here is an English language article with video on the topic:

http://evilcyber.com/the-rest/negative-energy-barcodes/

:lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

It's a wonder sometimes that homo sapiens has made it this far.
and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on June 12, 2013, 01:07:10 PM
It's a wonder sometimes that homo sapiens has made it this far.
To be fair, we only had bar codes for a couple of generations.  That's not enough time for deleterious effects of parallel vertical bar codes to makes themselves apparent.  It took us many centuries to realize the danger of lead poisoning, for example.

Syt

Some pics from the recent floods in Germany. Lauenburg and Travemünde would be an hour or two from where I used to live.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/06/more-flooding-in-central-europe/100533/

Vienna was not troubled, thanks to a relief arm of the Danube that was built 40 years ago, creating the 21 km long Danube Island. The walkways near the water and some bars/restaurants right by the riverbank were affected, maybe a dozen in total.

In Austria, Tyrol and the state of Salzburg were hardest hit, plus a few towns near the Danube. Overall, the damage in Austria will be several billion Euros. Some cheap credits that will now be made available to affected people will come (like in 2002) from leftover ERP (= Marshall Plan) funds.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.