And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Phillip V on June 04, 2013, 04:19:25 PM
A Reluctant West Point Prince on Prom Night

"I will be forever grateful to the jilted college girl I was able to rescue the night of her prom, making me, for a time, her prince."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/04/booming/a-reluctant-west-point-prince-on-prom-night.html

From the article:

Quotemy 18-year-old daughter, Lilly, a student at the Fashion Institute of Technology
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Maybe she designs dresses for robots. :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

It's a fairly well-known fashion school. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with fashion schools, but the name struck me as ... odd.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

They count Calvin Klein as alumni.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Josquius

Its all but confirmed, I'll be in Europe for just shy of a month in August.  :punk:
I want to do some (budget) travelling whilst I'm there. Suggestions?

Contemplating heading down to Manchester and Liverpool because I've never been there before.
And looking at some sort of Barcelona-Valenica-Madrid journey. Though unsure on Valencia's worthyness.
I will hop over to Dublin for a little it at some point. Maybe. Haven't been for donkies of years.
Budapest is also a heavy consideration for a quick trip. As are to lesser extents Oslo, Warsaw.

The main place I want to go is Italy. How are trains in Italy?
Rome and Florence are the biggies. Is Pisa worthwhile? Venice is a bit of a hole I hear but...maybe? Nipping into San Marino could be good too...and doubtless Siena et al have something to offer also. hmm....

I can't do them all...money is a factor as is time (I really should spend time with my family when I'm home...). hmm...
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Barcelona - Valencia - Madrid in August? Do you enjoy sweating?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tyr on June 05, 2013, 12:58:43 AM

The main place I want to go is Italy. How are trains in Italy?
Rome and Florence are the biggies. Is Pisa worthwhile? Venice is a bit of a hole I hear but...maybe? Nipping into San Marino could be good too...and doubtless Siena et al have something to offer also. hmm....

I can't do them all...money is a factor as is time (I really should spend time with my family when I'm home...). hmm...

The train rides are good in Italy, but being an American I can't really compare them to much else. They're easy to use and pretty fast. I went from Florence to Pisa, then Lucca, and back to Florence in less than a day and had no hiccups at all using the automatic ticket machines (in English).

Rome and Florence are great, of course. Florence is overwhelmed by tourists. Pisa only has the leaning tower where everyone has to take their obligatory "IM HOLDING UP THE TOWA MOM" photo, and it costs 18 euro just to climb to the top  :blink:

Lucca is beautiful and I advise spending some time there. Fewer tourists and when I was there they were having a festival and the main piazzas were filled with people. The old town walls have been converted into a giant park and walking around the town on a beautiful sunny day on top of an old and intact Renaissance wall is a great experience.

Siena is really cool. The town hall has some great medieval frescoes and the cathedral is a sight to behold. I also really liked Assisi, though it's kind of touristy too, trying to cater to the pilgrims visiting St. Francis' tomb.

If you get a chance, climb Vesuvius. I got some pretty cool views of Naples from the top of the volcano.  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 05, 2013, 05:38:07 AM
Rome and Florence are great, of course. Florence is overwhelmed by tourists. Pisa only has the leaning tower where everyone has to take their obligatory "IM HOLDING UP THE TOWA MOM" photo, and it costs 18 euro just to climb to the top  :blink:
*shrug* What the hell else does Pisa have in terms of ways to make money?

When I was in Pisa, it seemed like everyone hanging around the leaning tower was either a Gypsy or some variety of sub-Saharan African.  Hardly an Italian in sight. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

In Pisa one person I was with pissed off some Nigerian peddling some cheap sunglasses and he followed us for a couple minutes screaming "FOOK YU!"  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Ha.  One of them tried to get me to buy something and I (thought I) politely declined, and he mocked me for a while. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Funny how tourism works. The cathedral and baptistery next to the leaning tower are way more interesting and get completely ignored (the other interesting places in Pisa even more so), but a roughly equally interesting cathedral in Siena is suddenly a must see.

Anyways, visiting Italy in August? I'd avoid the usual tourist hotspots like the plague, basically everything you mentioned including San Marino.
The South is out too, because of the heat. I'd stick to the north and visit Turin, Bologna, Ravenna, Mantua or Padua instead. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive