News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2013, 03:56:12 PM
It's usually HR's job to make firing difficult.

Only if your reasons to fire somebody are illegal.

11B4V

Remember kiddies, dont have a bag of weed sitting in plain view on your passenger seat while on federal property. Then when the officer asks to search your vehicle, dont let him, if you have hash in your glove box too.  :lol:

Some peoples kids, I tell ya.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I'm sure you called their parents for them.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2013, 08:14:44 PM
I'm sure you called their parents for them.

Figure of speech. He was an adult.  ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2013, 01:51:30 PM
You get any kind of severance Eeyor?

About €10k. The reason the 4 of us were chosen was we were the cheapest to fire (which is why it wasn't that much of a surprise). I also had quite a bit saved and if it came to it up to two years unemployment benefit (max limit).

So I'm not really going to go hungry or anything. I'm quite frugal as well.

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2013, 01:57:29 PM
:hmm: Did your company go bust or something?

No, but it's been losing quite a bit of money for a couple years. Our department depends mostly on manufacturing -- which has been contracting every month for 2 years -- and infrastructures -- which have been gutted in budget cuts. The revenues of the engineering department were over €3 million a few years ago. Last year, they were down to a quarter of a million Euros.

There is still work, but it's badly paid, when you can actually get paid at all.

Eddie Teach

You are the second person I've heard use that phrase. My sister has been using it for years though, it's almost a running gag between us.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2013, 08:11:22 PM
Remember kiddies, dont have a bag of weed sitting in plain view on your passenger seat while on federal property. Then when the officer asks to search your vehicle, dont let him, if you have hash in your glove box too.  :lol:

You wouldn't need to ask if you saw a bag of pot in plain view.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on May 31, 2013, 01:27:39 PM
Today's been really weird.

It was our last day at work, and I find myself unemployed for the first time ever. I don't think my brain has quite grasped the concept yet. Curiously enough I think the one who took it worse was my boss. You could tell that both him and the CEO were ashamed that this had come to pass.
My now former mates got me a smartphone, which was nice, since I'd probably never get one for myself.
And when all that was over, I got to see and chat for hours with my brother, who's been living in Turkey with his fiancee for a couple years now.

Yeah, definitely a weird day.

Did a robot replace you? :unsure:

Seriously, very sorry, buddy.

There's a possibility I could be getting laid off soon.  The hope is that they'll have another project, but who knows the future?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on May 31, 2013, 08:40:28 PM

Wrong

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2013, 03:59:22 PM

The other main job is to make sure nobody gets hired.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 31, 2013, 09:24:16 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2013, 03:59:22 PM

They appear to do that one really well.
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 31, 2013, 09:24:16 PM

You got that right.

I wonder if they even have supervisors, or just people from other departments like Cal meddling in their shit.

Admiral Yi

Read an interesting little article in The Atlantic about leading man charm (and its current dearth).

According to the author, charm consists of treating women as characters as well as objects of attraction.

I thought that was deep.  :hmm:

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2013, 08:59:38 PM

Wrong

Maybe by your dept policy.  I'm right by the constitution.
Kinemalogue

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on June 01, 2013, 12:32:47 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2013, 08:59:38 PM

Wrong

Maybe by your dept policy.  I'm right by the constitution.

Exactly