The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2013, 02:32:50 PM
Just because Seedy's CEO cried all the way to the bank.  :hmm:

Dont mistake tears of joy for remorse.

CountDeMoney

Do they still have their jobs?  Well then, there you go. 

I'm sure the CEO was oh so torn up about the increase in shareholder value, too.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2013, 02:34:06 PM
Do they still have their jobs?  Well then, there you go. 

So unless they gave up their jobs & took food out of their own kids' mouths, they're heartless?  :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

I'm just saying they're not as torn up about letting Iormlund go as he'd like to believe. 
It's passing patronage, sorta like knowing somebody's family member died;  oh, that's just awful, I'm sorry to hear that, where are we going for lunch today?

derspiess

FWIW, the higher up dude who conceived of and pushed for the deal to move all our EFT business to a third party (which almost cost me my job and will cost others theirs) suddenly got let go a couple weeks ago under mysterious circumstances.  Karma!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2013, 02:46:04 PM
I'm just saying they're not as torn up about letting Iormlund go as he'd like to believe. 
It's passing patronage, sorta like knowing somebody's family member died;  oh, that's just awful, I'm sorry to hear that, where are we going for lunch today?

Have you ever had to fire someone?

Wait, why am I going there-- I'm sure *you* wouldn't feel any remorse :mellow:

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 02:46:53 PM
FWIW, the higher up dude who conceived of and pushed for the deal to move all our EFT business to a third party (which almost cost me my job and will cost others theirs) suddenly got let go a couple weeks ago under mysterious circumstances.  Karma!
EFT :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

Please don't tell me you outsourced it to Bottomline. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2013, 02:51:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 02:46:53 PM
EFT :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

Please don't tell me you outsourced it to Bottomline. :ph34r:

No, I don't think they do the specific stuff we do anyway.  It's a local company (where I used to work a while ago) that has a better product offering, but worse service than we have-- and they charge out the wazoo.

Caliga

Yeah, those dudes are based in New Hampshire.  Unfortunately we do business with them.  We recently made a spec change to our EFT transmissions to them.  I updated the code on our end and it literally took me about one minute to change the code and validate it.  It's been three weeks and it's still "in development" on their side. :frusty:

fhdz

I didn't know they let HR guys do code now.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 02:48:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2013, 02:46:04 PM

Even I feel remorse when I assist in getting someone canned.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I've fired about a dozen people in total and it never gets any easier, trust me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 02:48:03 PM

Yes, I have.  So what's your point, other than defending CEOs?

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2013, 03:33:05 PM
I've fired about a dozen people in total and it never gets any easier, trust me.
And you don't work in HR? :yeahright:

Admiral Yi

Where does HR do the firing?  It's usually HR's job to make firing difficult.