News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on May 26, 2013, 03:27:25 PM
Today I went on a tour of the Heaven Hill 'Distillery'.  It was a bit lame compared to the other distillery tours in the area, in part because there's actually not a distillery at the site, just a Vistor's Center and a bunch of aging warehouses.... but on the flip side there was more time, by far, in the warehouses than at any other distillery I've been to.

The reason?  I'd forgotten that Heaven Hill's distillery was completely destroyed by a fire in 1996, along with seven warehouses and close to 100,000 gallons of bourbon. :(

Epic video of the fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6XtnqDLC_k

They still age their products there, but actually distill them at the Bernheim Distillery in Louisville proper, which is kind of a weird setup.  The visitor's center is built on top of the land where the distillery used to sit.  Heaven Hill's main products are Evan Williams and Elijah Craig.  Got to taste both, and I'm embarassed that I'd never had Elijah Craig before because it is right up there with Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and Basil Hayden's. :blush:

Wow. A lake of fire there. Gallo had a silo of FSG go up once. Fermented spirit of grape is basically pure alcohol made from the leftovers of other processes. They use it to add to fortified wines and stuff like that. I guess the top blew off the silo and it just burned for days like a jet engine shooting into the sky.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Oh yeah, I forgot... when we were leaving a tour group of Polish and Czech visitors was starting their tour.  This old dude in the group went up to the tour guide and said in a heavy accent "We all is from Poland and Czech Republic, so if you can please give tour in Polish language, that would be great."  The tour guide looked like she was going to panic, and then he said "I is joking with you my dear!" :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

My mate Alan has had yet another heart attack, had all kinds of hi-tech surgery, now out of hospital, visited him and left half-thinking is that the last time I'll see him.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on May 26, 2013, 05:13:17 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot... when we were leaving a tour group of Polish and Czech visitors was starting their tour.  This old dude in the group went up to the tour guide and said in a heavy accent "We all is from Poland and Czech Republic, so if you can please give tour in Polish language, that would be great."  The tour guide looked like she was going to panic, and then he said "I is joking with you my dear!" :lol:

he he

You figure they were making the hajj to Graceland? :hmm:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2013, 02:42:45 PM
Guaranteed holidays don't increase shareholder value.

Actually, in the long run, they do.  They don't increase next quarter's earnings, though, which to short-sighted executives gets conflated with shareholder value.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on May 26, 2013, 07:06:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2013, 02:42:45 PM
Guaranteed holidays don't increase shareholder value.

Actually, in the long run, they do.  They don't increase next quarter's earnings, though, which to short-sighted executives gets conflated with shareholder value.

If they don't increase next quarter's earnings, then they don't increase shareholder value, now fucking do they?

The only thing guaranteed holidays increase in the long run is an individual's total compensation package, which must be kept as small as possible;  the employee that accrues 6 weeks' paid vacation on top of guaranteed holidays costs the company more than the employee with only 2 weeks'; therefore, a reduction in force is in order to bring balance to the shareholder valueverse.

Ed Anger

I'm feeling gassy this evening.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Repeat charts increase shareholder value.

CountDeMoney

Spammed for emphasis.

Ed Anger

Hay Seedy, you ought to look up that interview Bob Dole did with Fox. The man looked and sounded horrible.

Tonitrus

Except the chart refers to government-mandated paid holidays.  There are untold millions of US Americans who receive them anyway.

PDH

I was hoping for a gassy chart.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM