Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2013, 05:20:13 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2013, 03:58:24 AM
Can't fucking sleep. <_<

Am debating whether to work to our mega-super-bonus (not that mega or super, does not even equate to time and a half) and put three days in over the weekend, or just put it a straight eight and achieve regular bonus (which would equate to time and a half).

What's the opportunity cost?

If you've got a rockin picnic or road trip or party you could go to, do that.  Otherwise, clock the hours and take the loot.

Well, I did it last week.

Opportunity cost is a tricky concept.  I could increase wages by some 40% by working 16 hours a day every day forever.  As a rational actor, why wouldn't I?  Because the marginal utility of the income trends toward zero without time off.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2013, 12:23:33 PM
Well, I did it last week.

Opportunity cost is a tricky concept.  I could increase wages by some 40% by working 16 hours a day every day forever.  As a rational actor, why wouldn't I?  Because the marginal utility of the income trends toward zero without time off.

It's not a tricky concept.  The cost/benefit of work/no work is partly a function of the utility you will derive from no work.

MadImmortalMan

A couple clouds, that's all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Oh wait, here they are.

MadBurgerMaker

lolz  Go Spurs Go

E: I forgot about :face:

MadBurgerMaker

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 25, 2013, 12:04:05 PM
He was never the same after losing Tarkin.  He was probably like a father to him.  :(
Lol, I don't think Tarkin would have survived long if Vader treated him like he did his surrogate father.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

I'm procrastinating. Just ordered new cables to see if I can fit my Apple TV to my Sonos system, it took a pleasant amount of time to find a DAC box cheap enough to test with.

What next?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Found a documentary about the wild life in London. Apparently it's not just pigeons and rats.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadImmortalMan

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on May 26, 2013, 08:52:21 AM
Found a documentary about the wild life in London. Apparently it's not just pigeons and rats.

The wild life in Stockholm involves quite a few species.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I don't think the Vader thing is especially bad.  I'm sure some people find it somewhat clever, and the people who seem to be lining up to hate are the usual haters.  My days as someone who could appreciate Star Wars works other than the original trilogy are long behind me, but I guess I'm not as insecure as some people here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

It's pretty cold up here today even tho It's late May. I've started the prep work to install 1 new electric baseboard in my basement. It was eerily fitting of the day.

Next weekend I expect I'll have to install A/C.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Today I went on a tour of the Heaven Hill 'Distillery'.  It was a bit lame compared to the other distillery tours in the area, in part because there's actually not a distillery at the site, just a Vistor's Center and a bunch of aging warehouses.... but on the flip side there was more time, by far, in the warehouses than at any other distillery I've been to.

The reason?  I'd forgotten that Heaven Hill's distillery was completely destroyed by a fire in 1996, along with seven warehouses and close to 100,000 gallons of bourbon. :(

Epic video of the fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6XtnqDLC_k

They still age their products there, but actually distill them at the Bernheim Distillery in Louisville proper, which is kind of a weird setup.  The visitor's center is built on top of the land where the distillery used to sit.  Heaven Hill's main products are Evan Williams and Elijah Craig.  Got to taste both, and I'm embarassed that I'd never had Elijah Craig before because it is right up there with Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and Basil Hayden's. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

One of Denmark's biggest newspapers now requires a subscription if you want to read their online articles. That is, if you read more than 25 per month.

Now, the information about how many articles you read are stored in cookies. This strikes me as tremendously stupid, but they claim that most people won't "circumvent" their restrictions, or clear their cookies, ever. Probably true.