News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Oh, he did.  Just that others managed to cover his tracks.  Don't think I didn't notice.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 24, 2013, 06:52:46 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 24, 2013, 06:48:55 AM
I wake up and have to see 26 straight threads with Last Post by: Timmay?

Languish sucks balls, man.
HMBOB is behind the Great Firewall, Tyr is lazy and Bmolsson banned, what do you expect?

A good rule of thumb when you have no one to talk to - is to stop talking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2013, 02:01:52 AM
the "managed nation" has been proved as a bad idea over, and over, and over again. Even not full communist countries have troubles.

And I know the "we are not XY peoples, we are more advanced, we could do it" argument, and it's BS. Human nature is human nature regardless of how accustomed it is to Cafe Latte
He listed four sectors that should be state-controlled: healthcare, education, energy and banking.

Healthcare and education are mostly state-controlled in rich countries, so it clearly works. Sure, some details may not work, but the general principle of heavy state involvement seems to be a net benefit for these sectors. Mainly because their output should not be determined with market mechanisms, but rather based on other norms. So societies pick a different mechanism than the market to regulate these.

Energy is a sector where hybrid solutions seem to work fine. The actual energy transmission networks seem to be a natural monopoly and I think you can make a very good argument for them being state-owned/controlled. The powerplants themselves are trickier, but to keep a stable power supply you need to regulate them heavily too. And for some kinds of powerplants, you need the state as no private actor is willing to pay for them or to insure them, e.g. nuclear power plants.

Banking seems to be a mixed bag. Both private and state-owned banks seem to be prone to cause problems. So I guess here both private and public banks have their pros and cons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 24, 2013, 07:24:53 AM
Dirty rat bastards.

For years, my credit union's been awarding Rewards points for check card transactions, you know the kind where you can redeem them for fabulous gifts and prizes. 
I've banked something like 70,000 points over the years, enough for Apple products, for fuck's sake;  now, effective May 31st they're ending it for check card holders, and you'll only accrue points if you have a Platinum Visa credit card. 

Fucking bankers.  Like label makers and digital cameras are setting them back that much.

I blame Yi.  They're his people.
Just spend them in the month you have left, shouldn't be that difficult should it? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 24, 2013, 07:47:51 AM
Dirty rat bastards.

For years, my credit union's been awarding Rewards points for check card transactions, you know the kind where you can redeem them for fabulous gifts and prizes. 
I've banked something like 70,000 points over the years, enough for Apple products, for fuck's sake;  now, effective May 31st they're ending it for check card holders, and you'll only accrue points if you have a Platinum Visa credit card. 

Fucking bankers.  Like label makers and digital cameras are setting them back that much.

Just spend them in the month you have left, shouldn't be that difficult should it? :unsure:

I think his point is that he won't get anymore and thus won't get anymore fabulous gifts or prizes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Coke has stopped its "Cokezone" awards too. Mind you, everything was pretty crap.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on April 24, 2013, 07:54:13 AM
Coke has stopped its "Cokezone" awards too. Mind you, everything was pretty crap.

So the promotion perfectly match the product ?  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Ugh. I wish North Korea would knock out Tim's Internet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Hasn't he posted that thing like three times now?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Dirty rat bastards.

As always, your rage is misplaced.  You should be sending angry letters to Messrs. Frank, Dodd, Durbin and all the senators & congressman who voted for it.

Reading is fun: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/durbin-amendment-explained/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2013, 08:48:42 AM
Hasn't he posted that thing like three times now?
Never posted it before.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

My local grocer was stabbed in a robbery earlier today. He'll survive, but he closed the store so I had to go elsewhere for milk. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Dirty rat bastards.

Blame your OWS overlords.  They're the ones who sold you the lie that banking at credit unions is all Light and Goodness.