Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2013, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 11:07:02 AM
I went with more of a "Hack-louie(t)". God, I'm such a fucking American :(
I'm a big fan of the way Americans pronounce all the vowels. Like for "buoy" you say "booey" and we just say "boy".

It's funny for French, it's France french that does the over pronounciation of everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2013, 12:04:04 PM
Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2013, 11:14:42 AM
I'm a big fan of the way Americans pronounce all the vowels. Like for "buoy" you say "booey" and we just say "boy".

It's funny for French, it's France french that does the over pronounciation of everything.

Shut up, Meg.

:P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 18, 2013, 11:14:27 AM

You assume there is a "correct" way to pronounce it.  Congressman Rick Boucher pronounces his name BOW-chur.  I worked with a guy who had the same last name and pronounced it boo-SHAY.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

It's Bou-shay.

Is it Louisville or Lewisville?

merithyn

This morning, a gentleman in his 60s came into the office to discuss his health insurance coverage, what he owed, and how much of his deductible he still had to pay. One of our customer service guys, a middle-aged black man known as "Dappy Dan" because of how well he dresses, went through everything with him.

As he left, our receptionist, a young black man who is very chipper and pleasant, kindly asked him if everything worked out for him. To which the gentleman replied - directly to both men helping him - that he "had enough left to buy a basketball and a watermelon with", and then stormed out, smirking.

WTF??
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2013, 02:00:09 PM
It's Bou-shay.

Louisville.

There's a Versailles, Missouri pronounced "Ver-sails".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2013, 02:00:09 PM
It's Bou-shay.

Louisville, KY is more or less how you would say it.

Louisville, CO is "Lewisville".

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 02:07:32 PM
This morning, a gentleman in his 60s came into the office to discuss his health insurance coverage, what he owed, and how much of his deductible he still had to pay. One of our customer service guys, a middle-aged black man known as "Dappy Dan" because of how well he dresses, went through everything with him.

As he left, our receptionist, a young black man who is very chipper and pleasant, kindly asked him if everything worked out for him. To which the gentleman replied - directly to both men helping him - that he "had enough left to buy a basketball and a watermelon with", and then stormed out, smirking.

WTF??

Yeah, WTF. No fried chicken?

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 02:22:43 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 02:07:32 PM

WTF??

Yeah, WTF. No fried chicken?

Premium he chose was too high. :sleep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 02:41:04 PM

Not a bad idea if you're the type to have a decent emergency savings. Paycheck-to-paycheck not so much.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2013, 02:53:09 PM

Not a bad idea if you're the type to have a decent emergency savings. Paycheck-to-paycheck not so much.

You sure you're not talking about high deductable?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 03:03:51 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2013, 02:53:09 PM

You sure you're not talking about high deductable?

Based on the context, I assumed that's what Meri meant. At least that's how it makes sense.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers