And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2013, 09:17:25 PM
Was it Mikelob?

But yeah there's loads of American-style craft breweries and bars in London now :)

Edit: Not Mikelob, Mikkeller? :blush:

It's Danish beer by a so-called nomad brewer, he borrows different breweries. It's very good but equally expensive. He has a bar close to here, it's heaven. :wub:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2013, 02:40:20 PM
Hell even something as significant as the wars with the Dutch and are only know by a tiny percentage of the population, and I'd be surprised if more than 1% knew about the Dutch landings on the Kentish coast, which were more than just a few dozen soldiers. 

I think the stern of the Royal Charles was sent on loan back to England a few months ago.
It's now back at the wonderfully reborn Rijksmuseum. :wub:

Syt

. . . and a partridge in a pear tree!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

Need more Wonder Woman, Catwoman, etc.

MadImmortalMan

The Statues of Liberty were advertising tax return services. It would be different if it weren't April.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 09, 2013, 11:50:09 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2013, 09:17:25 PM

But yeah there's loads of American-style craft breweries and bars in London now :)

In many places over here it's reached bubble-status, I think.

Dunno if it's really so much of a bubble, but a continuous process.  I've seen quite a few breweries go under or get acquired since the 90s.

In Cincinnati (and the rest of Ohio) the really small 'boutique'-style craft breweries have started to spring up only recently.  The state license fees were a bit of a barrier before they were done away with a couple years ago.  Not sure when we'll hit the saturation point but I think there's still plenty of room to grow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Speaking of beer, I'm sick of Sam Adams ads.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 10, 2013, 10:53:18 AM
The Statues of Liberty were advertising tax return services. It would be different if it weren't April.  :P

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

That doesn't look like Times Square.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Hawkwind: Space rock band still going strong after 44 years :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22090429

:bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lettow77

Quote from: alfred russel on April 08, 2013, 09:55:49 PM
So Lettow, any word how your paper was received?

I've only just gotten the grade today- it was a 93, although I had to contest for points when the professor had the temerity to question some of my stronger anti-northern invective and other goodies from the propaganda mill.

I was particularly praised for my assessment of Forrest's legacy in Southern circles from 1877 to 2000, in which I explored Forrest as a fascist hero and Forrest, the feudal strongman and savior to his people
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 08, 2013, 11:03:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 05:20:55 PM
I've met all of them, but I was just a kid. I'm from the lefty side of the family, so I doubt they'd listen to me.

I visited Søren's brother - Steen - last time I was in Denmark, but we didn't discuss politics at all. He is all into obscure Danish military history; which is reasonably fascinating :)
Overwhelming Prussian and German military victories aren't that obscure, are they?
Nor were the victories of Nelson.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

What's really great is that even my air war papers were not a tenth as obviously biased as Lettow's silliness.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

I seriously doubt they were as well written, Ide. :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'