News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2013, 04:50:11 AM
So the courier service who's holding my calendar hostage have decided to deliver to my office address after all, after I informed them that I would hand the matter over to Austrian consumer protection organizations.

It's surprising how often that threat yields the desired result.

Amazon.com have expresed their sincere regrets in the matter (they had previously offered re-sending or refunding, as usual). They will pass on my experience to the shipping department as they like to keep informed about these things, because the performance of Amazon business partners reflects on Amazon itself.

Even if it seemed like a semi-canned response, it was a lot more professional and customer oriented than the delivery service's conduct.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Amazon here has always done an excellent job of customer service.  Any time I've had a problem they've done more than they actually needed to do to make it right.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 01:26:48 PM
Amazon here has always done an excellent job of customer service.  Any time I've had a problem they've done more than they actually needed to do to make it right.

Yeah, they're the same in Germany. I've only had very few cases where something needed to be done, though, despite literally hundreds of orders over the past 14 or so years from Amazon.de and .co.uk. This was the first time I had something shipped from .com (normally I only order digital games there, with my sister's address listed for billing).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 09:57:44 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2013, 08:27:43 AM
At least it's not the target silhouettes derspiess has.

N-word, puhleeze.  I greatly admire Dr. King-- his public persona at least.

Yeah, I heard.  New orders came down.  Dr. King is now a Republican and worthy of respect.  This replaces older orders that all GOP faithful are to believe he was a communist or worked with communists and protested the Vietnam war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

One of the most talking points regurgitating people accuses another of doing the same thing.

I :wub: you Raz.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Pot, kettle, African-American. :yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2013, 04:39:15 PM

Yeah, I heard.  New orders came down.  Dr. King is now a Republican and worthy of respect.  This replaces older orders that all GOP faithful are to believe he was a communist or worked with communists and protested the Vietnam war.

Pshaw.  I've admired him since Junior High, when we were required to do so.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 04:49:57 PM

In my generation that started in elementary school. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2013, 04:54:03 PM
In my generation that started in elementary school. :)

We may have had something in 4th, 5th or 6th grade, but if we did it was a very brief treatment.  We covered him a lot in Civics and History classes in Jr. High & High School, though.  Particularly 9th grade because that was the 20 year anniversary of his assassination.

Oh dear, there I go dating myself  :blush:

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 04:49:57 PM

Man, they start you guys young.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2013, 05:05:13 PM
Man, they start you guys young.

:huh:

The GOP.  Contrary to what Ed and garbon think, I avoid liberal media outlets.  I don't go to a liberal equivalent of Breitbart.  Hell, half the news I found out here.  The other half is the local news that comes on in the evening.

Eddie Teach

I get my news from Languish, The Daily Show, Colbert, and if I'm really bored at midnight, Red Eye.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2013, 05:23:41 PM
The GOP. 

:rolleyes:

I actually did sort of "grow up" a Republican but politics didn't get discussed a whole lot around the house.  I usually had to drag it out of my parents-- I was always very inquisitive about that kind of thing.  I favored the big government style of conservatism until some point in college, after a couple pol sci classes.  And contrary to what you might think I've been capable of independent political thought since then.

mongers

Why have I only just discovered the offical Top Gear channel on Youtube.

And here is a Cal approved outtake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrYe3i_kYeo

What his eyes.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"