And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 17, 2012, 03:10:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2012, 02:08:44 PM
I've decided to flee for Argentina during the week of the election and the following week, fearing the civil unrest resulting from either guy winning.

Totally unrelated, my in-laws are having a reunion around that time :P

Their economy might end up better than ours. :(

I wouldn't worry about that...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Smuggle some dollars, spicy. You can make a huge profit on the down-low there.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 17, 2012, 03:51:39 PM

No shit.  That and Apple products.  And apparently Barbie dolls are a hot commodity there :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2012, 03:55:46 PM

No shit.  That and Apple products.  And apparently Barbie dolls are a hot commodity there :lol:

Damn, really?  Sounds like somebody's hitting Toys R Us and Best Buy on the way to the airport.

Neil

Today's Google doodle is a celebration of one of the most overrated books around.  Languish hipsters rejoice!
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on October 18, 2012, 09:58:46 AM
Today's Google doodle is a celebration of one of the most overrated books around.  Languish hipsters rejoice!

Bet if it was a novel about clubbing the Great White Seal, you'd be all over it with your dick, Canuckistani.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2012, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2012, 03:55:46 PM

Damn, really?  Sounds like somebody's hitting Toys R Us and Best Buy on the way to the airport.

Well yeah, but unfortunately I have a Santa's list of crap I need to buy for her brothers, sisters and cousins.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 18, 2012, 10:01:30 AM
Bet if it was a novel about clubbing the Great White Seal, you'd be all over it with your dick, Canuckistani.
I've never even seen a seal.  I'm neutral on the whole Newfoundlanders clubbing seals, except for the fact that it makes American animal rights retards froth.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I see nothing. :(
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Popped into my local museum in Salisbury, I'd recently filled in a volunteering application as I wanted to help out, and on entering mentioned I had heard anything, so the person took my number and said the personnel person would be in contact.

Maybe phoning my home number 20 miles away, just 40 minutes after I'd entered the museum wasn't such a good idea. :rolleyes:

Wacky idea, but if they'd wanted to get in contact with me that soon, oh I don't know walk downstair and find me in their small museum ?   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

So, as near as I can tell, the CyberLink Power DVD software that came with the blu ray drive I bought when I built my computer refuses to update, possibly as a deliberate measure to force people to upgrade their software for cash; and without said updates/upgrades, newer BDs (e.g., the Star Wars and Indiana Jones sets, Rise of the Planet of the Apes) will not play.  Of course, that's fucking ridiculous.

I mean, I'm not upgrading.  I've got a standalone player--a year older than the computer--that plays them fine (albeit I think there are some scratches on the Indy discs due to that set's packaging scheme, but that's another problem), and this suggests a measure of intent in whether the computer-mounted BDD can play them or not, as you clearly do not need updates other than perhaps what are carried on the discs themselves to get the movie playing.

Anyway, fuck these guys: I'd buy a standalone player rather than buy something from a company that tries to hold my sunk costs hostage.  Vile, if true.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 18, 2012, 09:56:23 PM
Fight the power

:D 

The whole thing of playing blu-ray movies on a PC is way more of a hassle than it ought to be, though.  By this point in the DVD's life cycle it was a built-in feature for Windows. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 18, 2012, 10:27:54 AM
I saw that that pm Cameron's cat got into a scrap with the Chancellor's cat.

Meow.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/17/14502283-top-cats-snap-fur-flies-outside-uk-pms-home?lite

The cat clawed up a British reporter?  Good cat!  My cats have a hard time catching rodents as well. :(  There was a mouse in my room this spring and one cat chased after it while a second just sorta watched.  And not an interested watch, just laying down idly watching the scene.  Cat didn't give a damn.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017